Friday, August 27, 2010

AND THEN...........

And then, I got to thinking some more.


"What if", I asked myself, "no one ever saw your paintings except you? Would you keep painting?"

Without a second's hesitation, I answered myself.

"Absolutely!"

So, I guess that pretty well settles everything. Regardless of whether I ever got another compliment...or ever had another painting sell....the only thing that would change is that I would have to figure out some place to put this ever-growing stack of paintings.

As often happens, that question led to another one.

"Self, if no one would ever see your paintings, would you paint differently? Would you paint the same subjects you do right now? Would you care if they turned out good? And who's definition of 'good' would you use to make that judgement?"

We'll get to the ansers to those questions in a minute.

But first...........l am having the idea of doing some word changes here. Let's look at these questions a little differently.

What if these were my questions?

"Self, if no one would ever see your life, would you live it differently? Would you do the same things you do right now? Would you care if it turned out good? And who's definition of 'good' would you use to make that judgement?"

Ah....Art as Life. Life as Art.

I'll have to spend some more time thinking about that little turn-around I just made.

Right now, it's back to the easy stuff.

I think, the only changes I would make regarding my painting is that I'd take more chances. I'd be willing to make more 'mistakes' in order to learn more. 'Cause it's in the correcting that I learn to do it 'right' the first time. And by 'right', I mean carrying out my vision...my intent.  Also, occasionally, taking a chance leads to something splendiforously wonderful!

And, conversely, I think that sometimes I would spend more time developing a vision-allowing my intent to become more clear in my mind BEFORE I put paint on the canvas. Then, everything would be all about the process...the actual 'being' IN the 'doing'- moment, by moment.

I might have just answered some of those 'life' questions, too.

Ya think?

So, here's what I'm taking a chance on today.  This is an un-named, unfinished  18 x 24 painting. 


And it's calling my name.

I am grateful that now I get to go dance with my brush!

No comments: