Friday, September 16, 2011




When I first began painting, all I wanted to do was landscapes of my Sonoran Desert and the surrounding mountains.  I was…and still am….so enthralled by the special beauty of this desert…



the colors, sometimes subtle, sometimes surreal



the shapes…soft and feathery…. hard and jagged….



It was all those paintings which made me truly at home and comfortable with paints and brushes.



I still love to do landscapes, although I have seen a real change in my approach to them.  Now, I’m more after the ‘feel’ of the place than a true representation of it.



And, I have become much more interested in trying to either tell a story with my painting…or invite the viewer to create their own from it.







That has led to new subject matter.  I’m doing lots more still-lifes, especially those featuring old things…things which prompt long-forgotten memories…or ever present  ones…

.things which have meaning for me....things which I have loved for many years…..

….things which I never used in my life-time, but I can imagine my mother or my grandmother utilizing in their daily life.



Connections to the past enrich and shape our ‘present’, don’t they?

Painting, for all these years, has led to fun and frustration. 

… sadness and celebration….

But always, ALWAYS a source of great and abiding joy!



It is a gift for which I am truly and deeply grateful!

No comments: