Wednesday, June 16, 2010

IN SEARCH OF JOY

The other day, I overheard a conversation between two people I know fairly well. It was déjà vu, all over again...as Yogi Berra said. (I think)


These two repeat the same ol', same ol' every time they talk with each other. It's always a re-hash of all the bad family memories they have. In truth, they have more than their fair share of 'bad' family memories. Most of us do have, at least, our 'fair' share of similar stories. But those two seem to 'live' in their old bad stories!

I got to thinking about why I don't indulge in the same fruitless conversations.

And I think I figured it out. It's not that I'm smarter or nicer. It's not because of all those 'self help' books I've read-although I have been tremendously helped by all of them. It's not because I don't have any bad memories. I do. And I could, I guess, spend more of my time concentrating on those memories.

It's simply because what I concentrate on is something that brings so much joy to my life that I just can't be bothered with anything that doesn't.

I haven't always been that way, I assure you.

But today, and every day now, I have INTENTION to experience those things which bring me joy. For me, most of the time, it has to do with painting. This blog also brings me joy. But when it began to feel like a responsibility...a duty...instead of a joy....I stopped blogging until I was inspired to start again.

I have come to believe that our first obligation to ourselves is to ensure that we feel as much joy as our hearts can hold....as often as possible! It isn't somebody else's obligation....it's all ours! If what you're doing isn't creating joy for you, maybe you should consider just not doing it anymore, if it's at all possible. And, I think it's possible more often than we allow.

I think, now, that I've developed a habit of joy. I didn't just wake up one day like this. It isn't something that falls on you like rain, ya know?

So......

If you find yourself dwelling on past or present 'negatives'......

......and if you are needing some more joy in your life,

make you some!

Have the INTENTION, each and every day, to consciously provide yourself with at least one joyful experience. Then do it some more!

Until one day, you have so much joy in your life that you want to talk about that...instead of those old bad memories.

I told my son the other day that I would rather be an old woman who bores people to death talking about how excited I am about painting, than to bore people to death talking about all my aches and pains and other woeful things.

I am grateful to know that true joy comes from ME. I am the creator of my joy.


HALLELEUJAH!

and

AMEN!

10 comments:

Debbie Brown said...

((((Oh Sharon!))))

I just finished writing a children's book for my Grandkids about my Grandma and Grandpa. I talked about the swing my Grandpa made us that hung from a big tree in their yard and how I loved to swing and lean back and let my braids drag the ground!

Now, I see this painting of yours! It speaks to everything I just finished writing about. :) I want it.....;) PLEASE?????!!!!! I am attempting to illustrate the book and this would be perfect for that particular page.

Debbie Brown said...

or maybe the cover? :)

Debbie Brown said...

An excerpt from "Grandma, Grandpa & Me"

"Grandpa was a quiet man of few words that ever came out of his mouth with only 4 teeth left. 2 on the top with a big gap in between and the same on the bottom. He was a retired railroad man and you could tell he worked hard his whole life. He was my Mother’s stepfather, a tall man with a good head of hair. I remember him mostly sitting by his radio that was a floor model. He sat there for hours tuning and listening to programs that I had no clue about then and still don’t. Other memories I have are ones that are very special in their own ways. He made us a swing hanging from a huge oak tree in their yard and he would give me a push and I would swing as high as I could then lean back far so that my braids would drag the ground. It was like heaven on earth to spend my days on the swing that Grandpa made."

by:Debbie Brown

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie...I am so flattered and pleased! As you and I have already settled this matter via e-mail, we'll let everyone know that an 'adoption' is in the works. LOL

And I am so amazed that you wrote that it was like heaven on earth...and I named that painting 'Almost Heaven.' Wow!

Debbie Brown said...

(((Wow for sure on the name of your painting)))

"Adoption"....I love that, Sharon!
I was adopted. It seems like an even more perfect match now.

I just finished the little book for my grandkids about 2 days ago and Ted is helping me find pictures and get it done before school starts for all of them. So, when they go back to school and the teacher asks them what they did this summer they can say, "I had to read a book that my Grandma wrote to me!" hahahahahahaha

I think your painting will be the perfect cover.

This brings me much JOY!
I will write that down in my journal. ;)

Thanks again for shar~on~ing with us!
Hugs,
Debbie
ps. I can make up words if I want to, huh? :)

Dawn said...

i truly believe that we create our own reality by the things we choose to dwell on. one of my family members constantly tells the same bad stories over and over again and i've watched her world get sadder and smaller over the last 10 years. i have to watch how much time i spend with her or it drags me down too.
i am consciously choosing to think of the good memories and to look for possibilities rather than limitations. i don't remember every time, but i try. PS nice picture, you are so versatile and you never cease to amaze me. Hugs, Dawn

Debbie Brown said...

Ted got home this evening, Sharon... and read all this... and loves your painting... and was visibly moved by all that transpired today. Yep...real tears of joy.

And it was a GREAT day at work for him. :)

Sweet Dreams ALL,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...It is necessary, for our mental health, to limit time spent with 'energy vampires.' Bless their hearts. ;)

Donna said...

Day late here........unfortunately I live in Transylvania

Sharon Kay said...

I know, Sweetie. Hugs Donna.