Saturday, June 5, 2010

DIBS AND DABS

There seems to be no end to new things to learn and isn't that wonderful?

Sometimes, life teaches you lessons in dibs and dabs.

Sometimes, in waves which completely engulf you!


The last couple of days, I've been engulfed in a wave of learning about dibs and dabs! LOL

I had an old canvas with a bad painting on it. Actually, it wasn't a bad painting, it was just an experiment in using thick textures. So, I did a completely new experiment, adding even more texture.

Know what?

I love this. I don't think this one is a 'bad' painting.


RED ROOFS
16 X 20




Neither did L & L who came by yesterday to pick up their paintings.

More importantly, they seemed very pleased with their paintings. So now, I have no more bricks to carry around. If that makes no sense to you, refer to my posts about warped canvases.

They are such an absolutely delightful couple. We have lots in common and I hope to see them again sometime. Actually, I did my best to ensure that will happen by loaning them one of my most special books which I think they'll enjoy. If they don't bring it back...well, I KNOW where they live and I'll just go get it!

After I finished RED ROOFS, I wanted to try some more 'dib and dab' painting. But, I didn't have another heavily textured canvas, so I had to start from scratch. I didn't quite achieve the same look...but it's close. I like this one, too.

COTTAGE BY THE STREAM
9 X 12




Although it sorta looks like that stream, gliding so merrily along, is going uphill. Oh well. Perfect, it ain't! But fun, it was!

I am grateful to have been given another day to play with paint.

5 comments:

Lori said...

That stream is south of the equator .... :-)

Sharon Kay said...

AHA! That's the anwser! Thanks, friend!

Debbie Brown said...

I want to live there and dangle my feet in the stream and I don't care which way the water is flowing! :)
We should ALL have fun like you do, Sharon! The other day I was in my backroom with La Senora and I wondered about the possibility of me doing some painting.....hmmmmmm......so I went to the garage and found a bucket of paint that matches the walls out there and did some touch up's on the walls that were scuffed up a little. hahahahaha
That is my artistic talent when it comes to painting.

And THAT is why I so admire those like you who can express themselves on canvas in amazingly beautiful ways!
hugs,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie, you nut! I suspect that you might very well have more ability to paint artistically, than you realize. Next time you get that urge...go get yourself some stuff to paint with! I'd be delighted to tell you what 'stuff' to get!

Debbie Brown said...

I will keep that in mind, Sharon and thanks for the offer to help me get the right "stuff". :)