Monday, April 26, 2010

Me Submerged

APRIL 18, 2010


Just in the nick of time……….once again…..funny how things seem to work that way…just when we need it most and not a minute before! LOL

Our income tax refund landed in our bank account yesterday. I am grateful!

Not only will it keep us afloat for another month or so, but I feel ok about re-stocking some art supplies. I’m almost completely out of thalo blue….can’t paint those skies without it!

And pickin’s are getting really slim for anything to paint on.

And Michael’s is having a big sale today!

My plan is to get enough canvases to last me till the show at Holy Trinity Monastery. Since I’m averaging about 4-5 paintings per week, I will need quite a few. I am thinking, though, of getting at least one gigantic canvas….a sofa size one. That should keep me busy for a while.

Oh…and I also plan to be continue feeling extremely grateful for that money in our bank account.

AUTOMATIC PILOT: I’ve been thinking a lot about that since reading a lesson in awareness in WHEREVER YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.

How much of our life is spent that way? How many things do we do out of sheer habit? How many feelings do we have because of some reactionary emotional patterns we’ve developed and held onto?

Could our habitual, automatic pilot thinking be A cause…or THE cause of a life full of ‘sameness’ ?

I guess if we want something different, it behooves us to take our minds off of automatic pilot and be more aware of moment by moment choices in how we think, feel and act.

APRIL 22, 2010

On the way home from Michael’s, I had a glimmer of an idea for a painting. Ever since, I have been completely submerged in brilliant color! I’m loving it. I’m too busy…and happy…to spend any time writing words in a journal! LOL

April 23, 2010

I saw on tv yesterday that one of my long-time customers was killed in a car wreck, along with her 4 year old granddaughter.

I worked for a home grocery provider for about 12 years. Over those years, I developed some pretty close relationships with several of my customers.

Three of them are good friends to this day.

Lorrie Schlect was in her 50’s.

I am pretty sure that Lorrie had other plans for her day. A driver who ran a red light changed her plans…permanently.

Also in the car, was Lorrie’s pregnant daughter. She and her baby are ok….so to speak. Her child and her mother are both dead. She’ll probably never really be ok again.

I wouldn’t really think of her as a friend…more an acquaintance…nevertheless, for some reason, her death really got to me.

This morning, I got an e-mail that my cousin, Gerald, had died. We weren’t really close..hadn’t seen each other in many years. But he’s the first of our generation to go and that really brought some hard, cold facts straight home. We…my contemporaries….are getting up there in age. Death is going to be a more frequent visitor to our ranks.

About an hour later, I got a call that an old friend had lost her battle with cancer. Again, we hadn’t seen each other in many years. We had not even been in regular contact until we both wound up on facebook. But this one was a real blow. At one time, Margie was my best friend. We had so much fun together. She initiated me in the wonderful pastime of arrowhead hunting. We would trek through the Texas Panhandle fields and sand hills searching for precious treasure. We shared an interest in crafts. And one night, our families sat on our deck and watched something happening in the sky that has remained unexplained to this day. UFO’s.??? Could be.

That one did me in. I caved. I cried. It hurt.

April 26, 2010

I feel like the car-chasing dog. I caught the car. Now what do I do with it?

The car I caught is a whole series of paintings which began as a very small seed of an idea I had driving home from Michael’s just over a week ago. A week? Can that be true?

By gollies, it is true!

In one week, I have begun four paintings…all done to various stages of completion..or incompletion…all with the same theme of brilliant, saturated Mexican- flavored colors.

Since Michael’s didn’t have any of the big canvases I wanted, I took advantage of an on-line dealer’s great sale and ordered six 2’ x 3’ canvases. They should arrive tomorrow. My intent is to also get one of those painted with the same theme.

All of this needs to be done before the Holy Trinity Monastery art show which is coming up in two weeks.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!

Here’s where I am with these paintings as of this morning. I still have lots and lots to do on them. And I have to come up with another idea for the bigger canvas.









Wish me luck!!!

PS...I need a name for this series.  Any ideas??????

Today, I am so grateful for lovely, luscious color!


15 comments:

gini said...

Alrighty then.. I'll try again.. (clearing throat)
I am changing my mind now.. the first is my favorite.. lovely Skay...truly

I am sorry for your losses and enduring them
I give you my hand and a big hug now..smile
GOOD LUCK Best WISHES SUCCESS on your upcoming show..
I had names but can't remember them..
one was Arizona in Sunlight..
Colors with Style.
and then I wrote I am so grateful for Skay
with Style.. you inspire!!
love
gini

Debbie Brown said...

(((Sharon)))

First my heartfelt sympathies to you on these life partings that have come with the wave of a Tsunami. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Prayers for (((Lorrie's daughter & unborn baby))) we can only imagine her sorrow and broken heart. May she be wrapped up and protected by all loving sources that come to her aid during this very sad time in her life.

Prayers for the family of Gerald and may they all know how much others care.

Prayers for Margie's family and may angels both seen and unseen be felt by you and her family. Seems some have already visited you, Sharon in your memories of days spent with Margie. A time of closeness, sharing and fun....life lived here on this earth between 2 souls....hers now lived on higher ground.

Your vibrant colored paintings speak well of you! Bright colored light.....like a rainbow....what better way to express your heart than in full living color!!!

Much love my friend,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Gini...It could be that you like this one best because it is the closest to being finished. Perhaps, by the time they are all finished, you will change your mind again. That is our prerogative, right?
I had NO idea that first 'r' was in that word! LOL Spellcheck can be quite an education!

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie...each of your prayers are a sweet balm to my soul...and I believe will have good effect on the families and friends of each person. Thank you.
Margie would love the colors in these paintings. I know it! Perhaps she...who also began painting later in her life and was an incredible artist...is helping me from her higher ground. I'd like to think so.
So.......I will! LOL

Debbie Brown said...

I think Margie is helping too, Sharon! Where do our inspirations come from? Much Higher Ground! :)

Hi Gini....we were posting about the same time earlier so when I sent my post flying into cyber space....voila you radiantly appeared. I say "amen" to Sharon's showing being a huge success!!

Housework beckons me today,yuk. My heart just wants to play but the toilets need "the Works". hahaha....have any of you used that stuff? It's the bomb!

Wishing you ALL a day of bright, vibrant, living colors!

Love U all,
Debbie

Donna said...

I am anxious to see the last one finished. These colors are a new you and I am loving them. I am so sorry for the tragedies that touched your life. God bless.

Sharon Kay said...

Thank you, Donna.
Lorrie's death was tragic..to me.
Gerald's, not so much. He died peacfully. He was ill and of a 'good' age. Margie's, not really tragic, just too early in her lfe and in a hard battle with cancer. All of these deaths are just part of the circle of life. It just happens to be a part of life that sometimes hurts like the very devil.
Therefore, your "God bless" is much needed and much appreciated, my friend.

Dawn said...

seems strange that in this week of deaths you have birthed all those gorgeous paintings. guess it's a way of balancing things out. when i get my adobe home, i want one of these bright creamsicle paintings for my living room.

Louise said...

Blessings to you Dear Friend Skay.....Love your brilliant colored paintings

Joan said...

...tsunami...what a good description of the magnitudes of impact today...{{{love sent to surround each and every one}}}

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...I agree. Death and birth...the great balancers.
They really are creamsicle colors, aren't they?

Sharon Kay said...

Louise, I accept your blessings with gratitude. Thank you, friend. Glad you like the paintings!

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, dear. I hope you are making progress with your poor broken wrist. I suspect you feel rather like you've been hit by a tsunami, too. I will pass Louise's sweet blessing on to you. We can share. ;)

Louise said...

How about " Margies Mexican Flavors"

Sharon Kay said...

Who's Margie? LOL
I think I will call them "COLORES."
It's not all that original or interesting as it simply means 'colors' in Spanish. But, I think that's what they are...so that's what I'll call them IF and WHEN I get them all finished! I am still submerged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GLUG! GLUGG!! GLUGG!!!