Thursday, April 22, 2010

CATCHING UP

While I'm 'away', I'm keeping a journal.

Some of it is just too pitiful and whiney and depressing, so I won't be sharing that part with you.  Arent' you grateful?

But..here's some that I will share.

APRIL 16, 2010


I’m painting edges. I really don’t like painting edges!

Some smart somebody started making canvases which are stapled to the wood stretchers on the back instead of the side. That means that a painting can be hung without a frame. That works well with some paintings. But, in my opinion, most paintings really look much better with a frame. In fact, almost of mine would look better in a frame.

Nevertheless, since my canvases are of the gallery wrap type, I MUST paint the edges.

Have I mentioned, I really don’t like painting the edges!

Why, you might ask, do I buy canvases with edges which must be painted? Because that’s the only ones I can find, in the size I want, on sale, at my Michael’s store.

On sale…those are the operative words.

Starving artists are all about ‘on sale.’

You might also ask, what’s so bad about painting the edges?

You might be thinking, why doesn’t she just paint the edges as she paints the canvas front?

Well…

Because.

Because I often don’t really know exactly where I’m going with a particular part of a painting until it’s nearly finished. So, if I paint the edges as I go, they might just wind up wrong.

But mostly, it’s because I forget. I’ve painted for years with no thought of having to paint the edges. Change is hard.

So, I’m painting edges…and might very well go over the edge here in a minute.

APRIL 17, 2010

I’m digging through all my unsold paintings and trying to salvage something by either completely painting over them or by making some changes and/or additions to what I’d already done.

Yesterday, sick and tired of painting edges, I grabbed one of my old canvases on which I had ‘played’ with many layers of textured paint. Something rather magical happened.

I finished the painting of a mountain waterfall in record time and I really like the results.



Then, I started one with the figure of a woman looking into a store window. Of course, I have no reference picture to go by, so it’s not going very well. Again, of course. Why do I keep doing such a thing! I love the idea and might just put this one away until I get lucky enough to run across a photo with a woman in that exact pose. Ha!

Today, I am doing a small one…an 8 x 10 with an evening sky and some yucca plants. They are a nice change from saguaros. So far, it’s looking rather good. Maybe Mom is helping me paint this one.  My mother loved yucca plants!

I slept well again last night. I am grateful for what I’ve learned about stilling my mind.

In WHEREVER YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE, the author writes about really being in the moment…really being aware. He suggests you consider the very moment you are in as though ‘it is the best it will ever be.’ It took me a while to ‘get’ this, but what I came away with is that if you really believed that, I think you would become sharply aware of absolutely every sensation you are having and truly lose yourself in each experience. What you are feeling..inside and outside your body or the emotions you are having….What you are seeing…in minute detail…What you can smell…How the very air is moving through your nostrils or on your skin.  The tiny flicker of  your eyelash when you blink.

What is the result of this awareness? For one thing, it’s been a complete relaxation leading to a deep sleep, when I’ve done it at night in bed. I haven’t done it too much in the day time. Perhaps I should.

Another result is something quite profound.  So profound, in fact, that I can't even begin to find words to describe it.

APRIL 17, 2010 EVENING

I am somewhat pleased with the little yucca painting….YUCCA ROAD…I’m calling it.



There were parts of it that were pretty difficult. I painted and re-painted the sky multiple times. That is what I am the most displeased about, even after all my efforts. That and the smallest yucca which is flat-dab in the middle of the canvas vertically. There is SO much to watch for and try to avoid doing if you want to do a well executed painting.

I guess that’s what separates the men from the boys.

Or the girls from the women.

Or the artists from the painters.

Sigh.

In a few days, I will probably have another post for you.  I'm working on some paintings that are scary and wonderful!  They're scary because they really have the potential to be wonderful even after I've finished them.  My paintings often start out as 'wonderful' and end up as not so wonderful.

Once again, I sigh.

Keep your fingers crossed for these paintings that they may continue 'wonderful.'

I'm grateful for you guys...every one of you!



9 comments:

Happycrone said...

Love the waterfall!!! and hearing from you! Keep being in the moment and painting those edges!

Sharon Kay said...

Bah on edges! LOL
But I will keep on painting them. Waterfall doesn't look like Arizona so much, does it? Maybe your neck of the woods. Although, there really are places in Az which might look just like that.

Debbie Brown said...

WOW! On grabbing an old canvas that you had played on before, Sharon~~ and then producing this beautiful waterfall and river scene! So MUCH "Life" going on in this painting!!! I LOVE IT....see me jumping up and down embracing this moment and maybe I will jump on the bed too and hopefully not fall off the edge!!! ~Giggles Galore~

Good practice before bedtime and yes, it really does work. :)

Grateful for all your creative talents cause they splash over on me and I love that they do! Got a towel I can borrow? I think the mist from that waterfall is soaking me. hahahahaha
Huge hugs,
Debbie

Free2bfree said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're keeping a journal so you can come here on occasion to share, Skay!

I love the waterfall ... and the yucca. I'd swear I've seen a waterfall like that somewhere in those beautiful Arizona mountains! ~scratching my head as if it will make me remember~

And, about painting skies ... I'd think they must be one of the biggest challenges in painting landscapes! I'm quite a "sky-watcher" and have seen some pretty "unbelievable" sky-scapes. LOL

Glad to see you didn't make us wait very long for an update!
(((Hugs))) ~*~ Karen

gini said...

Sweet Skay..
You are much too hard on yourself.. The paintings are GRAND.. As always..
The sky was the first thing I said in my head.. wow.. that looks so real!!
And the yucca ,, well I've never seen a yucca but I thought it was super..
BUT I know a painters worst critic is SELF.. so in saying that.. I hold your hand.. he he
will ya hold mine?
Sure you will.. SMILE..
love love
gini

Dawn said...

i love the yucca sky, it's that clear intense blue that you only see in the desert. edges sound pretty tedious to me, no wonder you're edgy LOL. sorry, couldn't resist. Hugs, Dawn

Lori said...

Monsoon season at 7 falls, or TV falls ... or I can at least imagine it so. Not sure I could hike that far any more....

I'll send the sunshine back on the weekend....

xo, Moi

Donna said...

MY waterfall!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of your best Sharon. Magical and yes, lots of life in it!!!

Sharon Kay said...

Wow! So many wonderful comments! Where do I start?
Debbie...for crying out loud, don't fall off the bed!
Karen...yep, you could have seen a waterfall like that in Arizona.
Gini...you know I'll hold your hand, too. I am deeelighted that you are painting again!
Lori...it was not nice of you to take our lovely weather to Canada. I'm glad it came back before you do. ;)
Donna...yep, that is for sure YOUR waterfall. But it's also anybody else's who might need one for a minute or two. LOL
Thanks to all of you for such lovely compliments.
Now...I'm about to post a new skayspeak. Hang on for just a jiffy.
Love you all.
Skay