Saturday, April 3, 2010

I WISH THEY KNEW

Over the years, I have found a few paintings at yard sales etc., which I really like. Often, when I look at them, I wonder about the person who painted them. Who were they? Were they 'serious' artists or Sunday painters just having some fun.


Whatever their reason for painting these pictures, I'm so glad they did because they've given me joy for years.
I wish, somehow, I could tell them so. I wish they knew that someone has appreciated and treasured the work of their hands and heart.

I don't remember where I got this little painting but it's special to me because my mother loved yucca so much. Each time I look at it, it reminds me of my mom. It's signed Robinson.




I love the colors in this one. And the sweetness and serenity 'Grimes' achieved in such a simple composition.




Someone named 'Rogers' painted this large canvas which hangs in my bedroom. It is so soothing...and yet a bit mysterious. I bought it as the finishing touch for my first Tucson apartment.




I can't make out the signature on this little jewel. I bought it in a junk store sale bin for a quarter! It was painted on a piece of an old-fashioned canvas shade. I know it must be a good 50 years old...or even more. I love the subtlety of it. And the poignancy of a lovely painting done on an old window shade scrap!




I wouldn't trade any of these paintings for others which would be 'worth' more, dollar-wise.



They give me pleasure and I would be pleased to think that someday, somewhere, someone will find one of mine-perhaps in a junk store sale bin- take it home and love it, as I love these.



I send gratitude to Robinson, Grimes, Rogers and unknown.

6 comments:

gini said...

What a wonderful sharing Skay.. I love them all too. I have a few OLD pictures that were my Mothers . They remind me of her and the home where I grew up.. (gone now but memories are good too)
I think the window shade idea was unique!!
My mother did a painting once.. and I have it..on a piece of cardboard.. it was her home
and it looks just like it.. or like it used to look.. nice thoughts come this Saturday. I am
grateful for you and your words today...
love to you
g
x

Free2bfree said...

I love your treasured paintings, too, Skay! They remind me of the paintings my Grandmother had hanging in her home, especially the yucca by Robinson and the scene painted on the window shade. My Grandmother and her sisters were all painters and the Arizona desert was their frequent subject. It's wonderful for me that so often what you share on your blog reminds me of my Mother and Grandmother. I appreciate the reminders.

I'm grateful for you, Skay. Your blog entries either leave me with a smile on my face, a reminder of what's truly important, a feeling of gratitude, a resolve to do better, or a new perspective I hadn't considered before ... and quite often you manage to do all of those things in one swoop!

With love and a thankful heart ~*~ Karen

Sharon Kay said...

Gini-
It's good to have such reminders of our moms and our homes, isn't it? I know you treasure that painting your mom did on cardboard. I think lots of people painted on whatever they could find to paint on...especially back in the days of the depression. Who had money for canvases? And back then, I suspect you had to stretch your own.
We are spoiled. Let's hope we are grateful! :)

Sharon Kay said...

Kaen, What a lovely compliment you have paid me. I guarantee it touched me deeply. Sometimes, I wonder just why I am doing this here daily blog.
You answered the question for me.
Thank you. I am grateful.

Donna said...

I agree......they have to make you wonder just a bit about the artist.....who they were, what were they thinking while painting these....what inspired them. Takes you a little deeper into the canvas.

Sharon Kay said...

Donna,
I love how you put this!
Takes you deeper into the canvas...
Exactly!
You DO have a way with words, my friend!