Friday, April 2, 2010

TROUBLED WATERS

Last night, just before bedtime, I got myself in a bit of a dither.

As soon as I laid down in my bed, I knew there was no way sleep was coming anytime soon.

So, I got up, got this book


and randomly opened it.

The page I opened it to was the 'lake' meditation.  He described how even when the lake surface is disturbed and filled with choppy waves, beneath the surface remain calm waters -nestled in the arms of the earth.




I put down the book at set to imagining that deep stillness.  I didn't fight the choppy waves...Instead, I just let them wash over and above me....and I stayed in the space which was calm.  I imagined my body as the lake...settling into the earth's nooks and crannies.

Within moments, I felt a peacefulness.   Those mental choppy waves gradually lessened.  I saw sunlight glinting all over the gentle ripples on the surface.....like bursts of Gratitude, blessing the water. I felt myself nestled in the arms of the earth.  Soon, the surface of the lake was mirror-still....reflecting only beauty.


I slept.

My first attempts at this special kind of stillness came about when I was reading A NEW EARTH.  Later that same year is when I fell and all but pulverized my wrist...including a compound fracture.  I was in enormous pain as my husband drove me to the hospital.  While I was sitting in the car, waiting for him to get a wheelchair for me, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to do some meditating!  Duh!

Within seconds, my pain level went from...let's just say a '9' to about a '4.' 

Not bad.

My "reminder cards" say "When you change your mind, you can change your world."

That is truth.

Either our minds control us or we control our minds.

If we could always remember that...what a difference it would make, wouldn't it?

In A NEW EARTH, Eckhart Tolle said something to this effect.....

It is not the situation which causes our unhappiness.  It's our thoughts about it...which causes our unhappiness.

I believe that.

I am no expert on meditation. I don't even do it regularly. But I am so grateful that I am, at least, aware of its' benefits. And this book...well, I can't imagine one which would be any more helpful in learning to practice meditation.

I am Grateful for the reminder I got last night.


7 comments:

gini said...

Sweet Skay,
you amaze me . Every day you amaze me.
thank you for the reminders and the revitalization of my heart and soul in the
thought of Earth and how it heals.
Meditation is 'good' always good.
Positive energy for you and all today.
Much love on the Good Friday.
gini
xo

Free2bfree said...

Thanks, Skay ... I needed that! Now, how about sending some AZ sunshine and heat my way ... we went back to winter this week! ~teeth chattering~

(((Warm hugs))) ~*~ Karen

Donna said...

Tis soooooooo amazing.....as you know, I shared your night of choppy water syndrome. Yesterday I was exhausted as a result. In the evening I went out to my friends lake house to house/dog sit. Even tho it was an extremely windy day, I found a spot sheltered from the wind and just stared at the lake.....it was just a mystery as to how quickly I found that place of calm. I get to sit there again tonight.

Dawn said...

that "choppy water syndrome" must be moving eastward - i had a bout of it myself about 4 am today. i'll have to try that still water meditation..."all is well" just wasn't working for me. and when i finally did go to sleep i had a yucky dream :(

or maybe it was an interesting dream. depends on your point of view. Hugs~

Sharon Kay said...

Good morning everyone! It is a Good Friday, I hope, for us all.
Gini...glad this post was a good one for you.
Karen...It turned coolish here, too, but I will send warm thoughts northward.
Donna, I am so glad you found a place of peace at the lake house.
Dawn-I wish sweet dreams for you tonight.
Love to you all.
Skay

Lori said...

It's so good, somebody put a link to it on their facebook page!

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks, Lori.
Big Thanks, Susan!!! :)