Monday, April 12, 2010

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

Yesterday, I watched a PBS celebration of Pete Seeger’s 90th birthday.


What memories all those songs brought back.

And it got me to thinking about music and how much it has shaped my life…how much it has meant to me.

Then, I realized, that I have hardly mentioned music in this blog. How has that happened?



Music.

I hardly know where to start. Because I don’t remember a time in my life when music wasn’t nearly as close to a ‘constant’ as breathing.

On my mother’s side of the family, it was a given that one had musicality. Every one of us had good voices. Every one of us could harmonize as easily as we could…well, breathe.

I think my life has spanned a time when there was more diversity in music than at any other time in history.

Consider the simplicity of such songs as MOCKINGBIRD HILL. Or HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW!

Think about the complexity of SOPHISTICATED LADY or SATIN DOLL.

…the pain and agony of CRY ME A RIVER or BLACK COFFEE.

….the absolute silliness of TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS and PURPLE PEOPLE EATER…or ITSY BITSY, TEENIE-WEENIE YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI.

….the raunchiness of HEARBREAK HOTEL or PROUD MARY.

…the majesty of Handel’s MESSIAH…….

…the sweetness of AMAZING GRACE…….

….the down-home feeling of COUNTRY ROADS…
…….Blues, Be-Bop, Rock ‘n’ Roll, Jazz, Country, Rock-a-Billy, Classical, Spirituals, Opera, Big Band, Folk songs and Protest songs, Soul, Rap, Heavy Metal, Punk rock…and some, I probably am oblivious to at my advanced age.

The thing is that I have loved music with a passion.

It has stirred me and soothed me.

It has molded my mind…and then changed it.

It has made me laugh and cry

………..and dance in joyous abandon.

It has given me glimpses into the mysteries of the Universe.

One night, I swear, I heard a massive choir of Heavenly Hosts singing ‘ALLELEUJIAHS’ just for me.

I can count, on one hand, the foods I dislike. I could probably do the same about music styles.

I find Willie Nelson and Pavarotti to be equally wonderful. I think that makes me one lucky woman.

And I am so very grateful for the sound of music!

4 comments:

gini said...

Music makes me happy too Skay. I love all .
Pavarotti. ahhh.. And I saw Willie in concert twice.. neat!!
I'm not too much into the NoW sounds but one day maybe..
Oldies are on most often.. hee hee
And I did something a few months ago.. I bought a CD of French hits of old.. I don't know a word they are singing but I LOVE the music.. SMILE.. I am grateful I bought the cd.
love
gini
I'm glad you are feeling better. and painting and gardening and just enjoying life.. x

happycrone said...

Count me as another lucky lady then!!!

Dawn said...

some of my earliest memories are of my Daddy playing the autoharp and singing folk songs like Where Have All The Flowers Gone? and Pretty Polly. i am so grateful for those memories.
if geometry had been set to music, i probably would have passes the subject :-) Hugs~

Tracie said...

I absolutely agree about the beautiful and diverse music. I wish I could have seen the Pete Seeger special. I had the chance to meet Woody Guthrie's aunt once and Arlo and his daughter Sarah. Amazing family. I remember your voice well. It brought tears to Daddy's eyes and mine too now that I'm thinking about that. I love all music too, I can listen for hours to Jordan play and sing. I love my friends who sing and play, accoustic guitar, the bass and fiddles. And I too have a cd my French ex. student gave me, just beautiful