Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Trip That Almost Wasn't-Day One, St. Joseph's Shrine

 
 
This is the first thing we saw when we arrived at The Shrine of St. Joseph in Yarnell, Arizona.
 
If you know me at all, you know I am not a religious person.  But this place touches my heart in the sweetest way and I was very concerned about it during the time of the wildfire.
 
 
To read about the shrine, go to:
 
 
 
 
These steps...and many more which are as steep but lots rougher...are the reason my calf muscles have been screaming at me for several days now.  But it was worth it.
 
 
 
 
You can see just how close the fire came.  That bush is dead looking because of the fire which came right up to the statuary.  
 
 
 
 
 
So close....all those trees are dead from the fire....
 
 
 
 
Looking down on one of the buildings at the shrine which was destroyed.  Just beyond this point is a little canyon chock full of houses.  I counted only three burned buildings.  They were fortunate not to have the entire area lost.
 
 
 
 
I zoomed way in to get this photo of the little Yarnell church nestled in amongst all the green after all the rain we've had in Arizona. 
 
 
I am so grateful this little town was saved. 
 
 I am so grateful to all the firefighters who worked so hard to protect it.
 
I am so grateful to The Granite Mountain Hotshots who died so that this little town, the people in it, their homes, their businesses and this special small place could survive.
 
May they rest in eternal peace!
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

No comments: