Thursday, August 30, 2018

BALLAD POUR ADELINE

Many years ago, my brother who loved music as much as I do, brought me a CD of the most beautiful piano music I'd ever heard in my life!  The artist was Richard Clayderman.

It's a wonder I didn't wear that cd out listening to it over and over for these many years.

One time, I was going to go with my husband on one of his truck trips. He'd be going through the home of my heart....Colorado Springs, Colorado...and I was so excited to see that beautiful place again where my brother and I were lucky enough to spend a lot of our childhood years.  We had the truck all packed...including some cd's I wanted to listen to as we traveled.  One of them, of course, was Clayderman.

Just before we were about to hit the road, I got a call from the hospital.  My brother was in the ER, in very, very bad shape.  My brother was a brittle diabetic from the age of 10.  And this time, he'd gone into coma and hadn't been found for way too long and things were looking pretty scary!

So....off we went, in the big semi-to the hospital.  By the time we got there, he was coming around and things were looking up.  We...he and our family had been through such scares, too many times to count.  But this time, it really got to me and I was just certain I should not go on the planned trip with hubby.  I fussed and fumed.  My brother fussed and fumed back.  Finally, the doctor turned to my husband and said , 'Take her away!  He's gonna be fine if she doesn't drive him nuts!'  Seriously, I don't remember exactlly what she said, but that sounded pretty good, didn't it?  Anyway....whatever was said, it worked and we left.

I don't have any recollection of anything on that trip until we got to the beautiful part of Colorado which was getting us closer and closer to 'home.'
I remember stealing a branch of lilacs from a roadside bush.  They don't grow in this part of Arizona and I miss them, terribly.  I know I was feeling very emotional and I was also feeling relieved because I'd checked on my brother and knew he was going to be ok.

Looking around at all the beauty of those Rocky Mountains...and feeling that Rocky Mountain High....I put that CD in the player and turned it on.  When that first crescendo happened...you'll know when you hear it....I burst into uncontrollable tears!

listen to it here



I will never forget ALL the FEELS I was FEELING in that moment! It's a beautiful memory.

I have always loved  piano music.

Today,  it occurred to me that I might, at times, want to listen to some relaxing music, but not necessarily something to put me into some kind of deep sleep or altered state or zen zone....or whatever......

So....I went to my stash of cds which was in a bag in my closet ready to be taken to a charity shop.    There's a reason for that...but it's dull and boring and in no way pertinent to this here story....and besides, I'm keepin' 'em!...so I will leave you to either ignore this...or make up some kind of story of your own.  ;)

The bag was lying on the closet floor.....and half-way out of it was...........................



My brother died many years ago. Not long after he died, I wrote this poem for him  But, he visits me often.  He did today.

A POEM FOR MY BROTHER

High up in Cochise’s mountains
he leans against a fallen tree
long legs outstretched toward the fire
he lights a cigarette and sips
his vodka and Mountain Dew.
Pine-perfumed smoke
floats softly upward
through pine-perfumed branches
into the star-studded sky.
He inhales.

Occasional sparks
fly onto his boots
a cougar snarls too close by
a blur of tawny fur
a glimpse of agate eyes and then
it’s gone
into the night.
He exhales.

He smokes his smoke
and drinks his drink
knowing
that nothing here will harm him
not the cougar
not the fire
not the cigarettes or the booze
not the dark of the night
and certainly not the mountain
He dreams on.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVED the story and the piano was Beautiful!!! Thank You!!