Monday, July 26, 2010

A GOOD DAY

It's a good day today....a glorious day, as a matter of fact!

I'm writing this on Sunday.

The neighborhood is blessedly quiet.

The temperature is quite comfortable.

The clouds are keeping the hot sun at bay.

There's a gentle, cooling breeze.

I have been in my studio all morning with the doors wide open.

Lovely!

And.............

It's a good day because I've had a couple of  days of productive painting.

And one magical experience when the canvas seemed to bloom into a painting, right before my eyes!

I nearly cried in joy and gratitude.

It is for those moments I paint.  It's as if the heavens open up and shower artistic blessings on me...in abundance!

....and the angels sing..........

I went to Brandon's new studio-apartment one day last week.  The building is so happy looking, I just had to paint it.

Here it is.

#103
11 x 14 on canvas


I love the brightly colored buildings in Tucson.  Isn't that chartreuse fabulous?

When I had finished that painting, I was left with remnants of chartreuse, blue, black and white paint on my palette.  So, I thought I'd play with making some desert greys...and also to try to make a painting 'be' something recognizable with little, or no, details.

I put spots and splotches and streaks of paint on this little 5 x 7 masonite panel and I quite like how it turned out.



After I put the final touch of ochre paint on this one, I wanted to try another painting in which I would make a real effort to simplify, simplify, SIMPLIFY!

I searched through my photos and found one I thought might work.

This is when the magic happened.

RAIN ON THE CHIRACAHUAS
18 X 24 on canvas


There's one more..........

I painted this one several weeks ago.  I had it 'done'....or so I thought....

Today, I saw some ways to improve upon what I had and I really like it, now.


CANYON RIVER
9 X 12 on masonite board



It has been a really good day!

And now, it's time for a nap.

I will go to sleep counting my blessings!


8 comments:

Donna said...

OMG........you already know I love the building one but when did you do Rain On the Chiracahuas? Sharon, this is absolutely one of your most perfect ones!!!!!!

Sharon Kay said...

Thank you, Donna. As I said, sometimes magic just happens. I was greatly blessed by the experience of having that painting created through me! :)

Joan said...

RAIN ON THE CHIRACAHUAS - so glad this came into being

Dawn said...

Rain on the Chiracahuas is great, almost like a photograph.i like how the light breaks through the clouds over the mountains. i really like the first one, too - reminds me of New Mexico in an impressionistic sort of way.

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, so am I. :)

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn, I can see why it reminds you of the high deserts of New Mexico. That little experiment was fun...and I am pleased with how it turned out.

The light breaking through the clouds...that was the magic! :)

Louise said...

Sharon...I LOVE the 5x7 on masonite, it looks like it has texture...like I could touch it, feel it, be there...to me it seems like freedom...of maybe someone going "walkabout"....awesome my friend

Sharon Kay said...

Well, geez louise, Louise! I said it was masonite? Not...it's a 5 x 7 stretched canvas. LOL...So, yes, it has texture...even before I added the paint to it. ;) Glad you had such a lovely response to it.