Friday, July 2, 2010

BIG!!

That's what this is.


48" tall by 64" wide, to be exact.

Brandon talked me into buying it from him because he needs to make more space in his own studio. I'll admit, it was pretty easy for him to talk me into it.

I had no idea what I'd do with it but I figured it would tell me...eventually.  And it did.  This is my CANYON DREAM....in progress.


It is based on one of my favorite places on planet Earth, Canyon de Chelley, on the Navajo Reservation in Northeastern Arizona.  I've never been down into the canyon, only up on the rim.  Some day, I'd love to go on a canyon tour, but until then, my dream painting will just have to do.

What I have found amazing is that painting these big canvases is much easier, in many ways, than painting a smaller one.  I am less constrained by space and therefore I am less constrained in the painting of it.  It's just downright fun!

My biggest struggle with this painting has nothing to do with the size.  It's all about my ineffective, incorrect and inept use of the color green!  Virtually all the greens are just too 'green.'  And it ain't easy being green, as Kermit the Frog so wisely told us.  I am thinking that perhaps this monster painting will be the very thing to break me from my wrong thinking regarding the color green.  I sure hope so!

My friend, Lori e-mailed me yesterday morning and asked if Iwanted to accompany her and her sister, Susan and sister's friend, Mary (visiting Tucson from Canada) on a little jaunt to have a Sonoran Hot Dog.  I am thinking that a Mexican Hot Dog is about the only thing with enough power to entice me out of my studio and away from a.  my big painting...and b.  the air conditioner going at full blast.



I said 'YES!!!' with no hesitation. 

And ate two of them...with no hesitation!

While we were out, we decided to do a little tourist-y sight seeing.  We took a short drive through part of  Barrio Viejo 

click here

 and then a longer drive out over Gate's Pass.







That was especially fun because my last painting, just before I started my BIG one, was of Gate's Pass.



The good food, good fun and the heat just wiped me out and I took a lovely, long nap after I got home.  I awoke to...........................drum roll please!

RAIN!!!!!!!

Not much of a rain...but enough to make the air smell sweet and to cool things off a bit....and to make beautiful music on my tin-roofed patio.   It's time for our rainy season, so I'm hoping we get lots more.

And, I am hoping that you find as much to be grateful for as I'm finding these days. 

A B.I.G. canvas to play on
and
R.A.I.N.

2 comments:

Debbie Brown said...

Yum! I will take one of those Mexican hot dogs, Sharon. Can I get it to go so I can watch the fireworks from my front porch? :)

Happy 4th to you...Free Spirit!

LOVE your gorgeous painting of "Gates Pass"! The colors are amazing!

Rain on a tin roof?!?! (((Heavenly)))

Leslie B. said...

Sharon,

I'm holding a free sign up for you on mindbrew.com--no set up fees! Just pay for your own bar code!

Leslie