Thursday, October 29, 2009

SOME THINGS I LOVE







The story is that, as I child, I gave this kitschy little Indian Boy bank to my uncle for Christmas. While I recognize the politically incorrect, stereotypical characteristics of this chubby cheeked little Navajo toddler, I can’t help but feel a lightening and brightening of my Spirit every time I look at him.

I mean…tell me….how can you resist that face?

This little guy sits on the floor in my living room And in the evening, when I’ve crashed into my recliner, worn out from life’s trials and tribulations, I need only to sneak a peek at this happy fellow and suddenly-all is right in my world!

He also reminds me of a real live Navajo boy who first came into my life when he was about this age. He’s suddenly all grown up, though….over 6 feet tall and a brand new daddy. How’d that happen?


This vintage Tonala vase is one of my yard sale finds. One day, I got into an introspective frame of mind and began really studying this vase. I imagined the work-worn brown hands that made it; first digging and working the red clay and shaping it carefully, curing it in a wood fire and then skillfully painting it. Did he or she use paints made from soil or plants? Did he or she use a brush made of plant fibers? An understanding came to me suddenly….that like all things, this vase had its’ beginning in the very ‘stuff’ of the Creator of All That Is. Every particle of that vase has existed since this planet, Earth, was made! It came through some long ago potter, passed through other unknown hands and then, eventually, into my own. My soul has traveled all the way back to ‘In the beginning’….through this lovely work of art.

Now, when I see it, I am reminded of my connection to that Great Creator. And that we are all connected…to all things…and to each other.


My mother bought this for me when I was a young woman. She, no doubt, got it in a second hand store. To me, this little vase is completely and absolutely a sensual feast! The color is so soft, yet deep and luscious. The smooth glass is silky, satiny and velvety…all at once.
The graceful handle. ...the fluted edge...like ruffles...so delicate...so utterly feminine. So unlike me.

I’m rough around the edges-no girly-girl am I!

Stubborn. Independent. Opinionated.

More at home in men’s work clothes than ruffles and bows.

Maybe this little green vase is a reminder to me that I am still WOMAN…even when I roar. That there is softness and tenderness and vulnerability beneath my rough, tough exterior. And maybe, I should let that side of me out more.

This post has been quite an experience. You see, I’ve always known why I love that little Indian boy….and the Tonala vase. But until I started writing the words, I had no conscious recognition of why I so love that little green vase…and have loved it for over 40 years. Thanks, Mom.

For me, this has been an interesting exploration of some of my treasures…both the obvious ones…and the hidden ones.

What do you love…and why?
Let’s be grateful for them together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All three objects and stories and special. I remember a very small cedar trinket bowl that I got on a grade school trip to Washington DC. I found it when cleaning my Mom's house last year and it made me so happy to remember that adventure.

Barbara Kleinhans said...

that anonymous above was me! Now I'm posting using the name/URL option

Barbara Kleinhans said...

Love that gorgeous green vase.

Sharon Kay said...

Well HELLLOOOO, BARBARA!
So nice to see you here...and thank you, for your comments!

irol said...

Subborn? Independent? Opinionated? I'm just so glad I didn't say it......

Great Blog Sharon

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks,friend!

Donna said...

nice