Monday, February 15, 2010

BACK TO BASICS

I had done my timed painting and was pleased. I thought I’d find another of my photos to work from and paint another one, just for fun.


I got out a brand new 16 x 20 canvas and went at it.

Lessons learned.

1. Girl! You need to get back to some basics!

2. Gesso is my friend.

I am going to have to find the complete list, but there are some basic elements of design….each of which is very important.

My screw up had to do with composition, specifically, the placement of the focal point. I make this mistake often. Somehow, my focal point winds up near the dead center of the canvas. Since my intent is not to create a bull’s eye target, this simply will not work.

For example:

Remember this painting I did recently?


Compare it with this cropped version of the same painting.



Do you see how the second one is more pleasing to the eye than the first one?

It’s because the second one has the focal point in the correct location.

There is something called the ‘golden mean.’ I am going to google that to refresh my memory.

I’ll get right back to you.

****************



OK. I’m back. The ‘golden mean’ is not exactly what I meant to discuss. It’s a tad too complicated for me. If you want to google it for yourself, be my guest.

I am a believer in the K. I. S. S. principle….keep it simple, sweetie…so we’re going to go with the ‘rule of thirds’, instead.

http://painting.about.com/library/blpaint/blcompositionclass2.htm

I learned this, years ago.  But it seems, I forgot it.  Forgetting that rule has led to some major disappointments.

The same thing applies to photographs.  I went through some of my De Grazia pictures and found another example of a 'bull's eye' target.  I don't know about you, but when I look at this for a minute, I become darn near mesmerized by the hub of those 'spokes' in the dead center of that flower!  I guess that would be fine if you wanted to go into deep meditation.  But that's not usually the purpose of a picture.


See if you like this better.



I find it a tad harder to cocentrate my full attention on the flower's center.  I tend to want to see what else is in the scene.

Here's another way to do it.  I actually think I like this one the best.


I think I will start drawing those lines on my canvases BEFORE  I start my painting.  I need all the help I can get.

And then, possibly, I won't have to  use so much gesso to cover up a bad application of expensive paint!


But, I am grateful for gesso which can save many a canvas from destruction.

4 comments:

gini said...

Okay,It must be REAL early for my brain to work.. MY first thought? guess so! he he
Gesso? The the brain wheels started moving.. I remember that word? looked it up.. Of course,
I was ready to laugh and smile right off with you Skay.. and I did.. but thought gesso was the first tickle.. so the yolks on me.. he he
K. I. S. S. good rule.. I loved all three pictures... It seems I can make a story out of ANY photo.. ugh. Makes for a busy mind..
Good Morning and hopefully catch up later..
I can't wait for the first view..
love
gini

Donna said...

Your blog is by far very unique just like you my friend!!!!

Dawn said...

i was trying to figure out why i was seeing "Coca Cola" in those pictures...went back and looked at them three times before i realized there was another flower on the back of that post LOL.

gini said...

Dawn.. GOOD eye.. :)
You made me smile very early this morning.
this is good.!!
g