Saturday, February 6, 2010

I SEE YOU



Not really.
But I do see how many visitors I've had on SKaySpeak on any given day.  I see lots of other information, too.  Some of which, makes little sense to me.

Google has an analytic tracker which can be used on a blogspot blog.  I have it.  But, I don't completely understand it.

One thing which is quite easy to understand just tickles the daylights out of me.  It's a map of the world showing the aproximate location of each of your visitors.  Since I've started using this service, not long after I began my blog, I have had visitors from  26 different countries!  Is that cool, or what?  They've come from all over the world including such places as Senegal, Latvia, Georgia (the country, not the state!), Romania and Viet Nam.

I realize that some of them are accidental visitors.  Let's say a woman in New Zealand is researching how to make tamales.  She winds up on my site after googling 'how to make tamales.'  She finds out, very quickly, that my site has absolutely nothing to offer her in the way of helpful information.  So she's gone, lickety-split.  I can't really call her a visitor, can I? 

However, I have had some such visitors who wind up reading several pages of my blog.  How do I know that?  Because the report includes which pages people looked at...how long they stayed on the blog.....which page they left from.....how many are old visitors and how many are new ones....and as they say on tv commercials...much, much more!

SKaySpeak has had almost 1800 visits since November 18, 2009, when I began using the tracker.  I posted my first blog on October 24, 2009.I've written 107 posts, if you count my "Never on Sunday" ones.  You average about four and a half minutes per visit and read about two and a half pages per visit.

There are a number of you who are faithful readers.  I know where many of you live 'cause you're old friends. When I see your city listed, I know it's 'you' and I smile inside my heart.  One of you, from way up North, has been to SKaySpeak 161 times since the tracking began.

The U.S. visitors have come from thirty-nine different states!


I have a couple of new 'followers.'  I don't know who they are, though.  I wish you'd say 'howdy' and introduce yourself in the comments.

I wrote about how to do that here.  Folks who are having problems commenting might want to read this one again, too.

http://skayspeak.blogspot.com/2009/11/murgatroid-macgillicutty.html

I also did a lot of groveling in that post.  Please forgive me.  But I just couldn't help myself.

I need to add one thing to that information.  Sometimes, for some strange reason, you just have to click on 'post comment' twice.  I don't know why.

I don't want anyone to worry that I am actually 'tracking' you...in a stalking sort of way.  It's not that detailed at all...not that specific...not that sinister.

I check my report every morning to see if my list of countries and states has grown.  It's rather like having a life-list, if you're a bird watcher.




Only 12 more states to go!!!!!!!!

I'm so grateful to each of you...those of you who come here on purpose...and those of you who come here by accident, but stay for a bit of a visit.

Thank you, everyone, everywhere in this big, but still very small, world in which we live!

10 comments:

Michael said...

Here, have another Chicago.

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks, Schmutzie...funny girl!
Have you decided whether you will visit the north rim or the south rim on your next trip to the Grand Canyon? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Michael said...

Leaning towards the North Rim. It'll be summer, and that looks like some very interesting camping. I might change my mind and book a spot at Mather. I definitely want to see the Watchtower, so at he very least I'll have to come back twice. (funny boy you mean!)

Cindy said...

So Sharon if I log on to your Blog when I travel will it show up as coming from a different state?

Because we're taking a big driving trip this summer and I am trying to pick up Delaware and Rhode Island for two states on my own personally-visited list.

I'd be happy to share :)

Cindy

Sharon Kay said...

Oh my goodness, Schmutzie! Please pardon my gender faux paus! I actually have a guy reader. Why does that surprise me, I wonder.
I would love to see the north rim but I do hope you get to go to the Watchtower. I found that spot to be really special. I'd love to be updated regarding your trip. Keep in touch!

Sharon Kay said...

Cindy,
My more computer savvy hubby says he doesn't think you'll show up by the state you're in, but your permanent e-mail address. Those are two of the five states I've never been in....nope, I remember we drove through Delaware...but I've never been to Rhode Island. Have fun on your road trip. I look forward to reading all about it on your blog.

Dawn said...

when i saw the title to this post, i thought you'd seen Avatar :-D if you haven't, you really should. it is awesome.

it's so cool that you can not only see how many people visit SKaySpeak but their locations too! if anyone would have told me such a thing was possible back when i was using that HUGE dedicated word processing thingie in the late 70s i would said "only in a science fiction book!"

gini said...

It is sort of like going on a trip and never leaving the farm.. Hee hee..
Sweet!! gini in Maine

Sharon Kay said...

Oh, Dawn...I remember that huge word processing thingie, too. And it was nothing short of miraculous at the time! To think, one didn't need typing erasers and carbon paper anymore! Halleleujah!!!

Sharon Kay said...

Gini in Maine, Maine is one of the five states I've not managed to at least drive through back when hubby was cross country trucker and I'd often travel with him. I REALLY wanted to see Maine...just never made it quite that far. I know it is beautiful!