Saturday, February 13, 2010

THE COLOR RED

My witty husband said my first picture should be of the balance of our bank account.

To that, I can only say, thank goodness for our small overdraft protection.

Red will be the most difficult color for me to do, because red is probably my least favorite color. 

I'm talking about red...real red....Marilyn Monroe red...or fire engine red.

Throw a little orange in it...or some blue...and I like it a lot better.

Nevertheless, I was able to find a few photos that are fitting.

Red, of course is one of the primary colors.

Red
Blue
Yellow

Out of those three colors, plus white, all other colors are made.  ALL of them!  Isn't that amazing? 

http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html


Anyway...back to red.

Red is the color of valentines, of course.

So, I guess it's fitting that I am featuring this color so close to Valentine's Day.

It's also the color of something I dearly love.

Red Chiles!!!!!!!

Here are some, drying on a roof-top and hanging from the rafters of a shop in Hatch, New Mexico, where the very best red chiles come from!

From these beauties, you can make this.



Yes, that is red...not brown.  And, it is tuly red HOT!!!

You won't find the recipe for it in this.....


but you can find lots and lots of good recipes.  This is my 'go-to' cook book........
this and The Pioneer Woman's website.



Be careful, though.  That woman might make us all fat!  Fat, but happy!!!

Speaking of happy....this always makes me feel happy.



It says, 'somebody in Kayenta, Az LOVES YOU!'

My sweet sister/daughter/friend, Samanta gave it to me.

I remember so many happy times with her in my kitchen.  Of course, those glass shelves in my kitchen window with all the colored jars and bottles DOES have one that is red.



I did the 'cartoon' application to this photo because the dust on the shelf was showing in the picture and I didn't want to clean it.

I'm just being honest.

My dear friend, Lori, brought me this fridge magnet when she went on her Alaskan cruise.


And I have this vintage treasure that I got at the swap meet for a quarter.

Our last name is Baker....so, of course, this has a prominent spot in our kitchen!

I couldn't help but take a picture of this old pick-up truck when Lori and I went to Tubac.


And these cactus buds that I saw in the patio at De Grazia's Gallery In the Sun.




While searching through my old photos, looking for 'red', I found this picture I took several years ago of my sweet daughter-in-law's grandfather's old barn. 






See how pink it all looks?  I did a painting from this photograph and gave it to her.  Bless her heart.  I say that, because I slavishly painted exactly what I saw in the photo.  She now has a painting of her grandfather's barn which looks as if it was painted with Pepto Bismol.  I urge her to rip the canvas off the stretcher bars, throw it in the trash and use the wood in her chimenea.  Please?  I beg of you!

I also had this picture of Poppy's barn.



Since that roof is actually red instead of pink, I thought I'd do a timed painting of this picture for today's RED blog.

Here it is.




I don't know what possessed me to do a timed painting of a building, but I'm glad I did it.  Even in this unfinished stage, I think it's better than the first one I  painted of it....in spite of the glaring error in the  proportions of the right side of the barn.

Speaking of buildings, several years ago, while traveling in hubby's 18-wheeler, we came upon this wonderful, old-fashioned country store, in LIKELY, CALIFORNIA.  It reminded me of the store my family had in Roswell, New Mexico.  But we never had such a really neat sign painted on our storefront.


It really brings me back to a time when life was much more simple.

I'll drink to that!



I am grateful for every color in the Creator's rainbow!

7 comments:

gini said...

RED.. that was going to be my first choice yesterday for my 'painting'.. but I went for Blue.. Fear .. ugh.
I giggled about the 'dust'. thing.. Honesty is so humerous sometimes.. I guess that is what makes humor now that I think of it..
Granddaughters arriving today so my second hour will probably be put on hold.. we'll see.
I LOVED the old barn.. those shots always stir the painting bug within.. :)
Now what do you do with HOT Tamale? is it a base to a recipe? Call me 'not near Mexico'..
Hehe
love
gini

Free2bfree said...

Oh, I love the color red!!! Now, nevermind what "they" say it tells you about me! LOL I must admit that little red goes a long, long way and is best used for just a splash of color or added interest.

I like what you did with the color red, Skay! And, by the way, my Mother would be the first in line for some of your red hot chili sauce if she could swing it!!! (She's headed that direction in about ten days ... should I have her drop by? Just kidding ... mostly.) I remember the time when she had to ask her sister to send her the red chilis in the mail after our family moved north. She also had to have her sister ship the good corn meal for her tortillas, too. My, how times have changed! In my area up north, nowadays there are almost as many grocery stores dedicated to those who prefer their foods on the spicier side of the spectrum as there are those that cater to the the milder side of things! In fact, my area gets spicier by the minute ... and in most every way, that's a good thing. At least my Mother no longer has to pay for shipping in her favorite ingredients from New Mexico and Arizona. But, I do have to admit that I giggle when some of the local specialty market owners with the "spicier" food markets are taken back a bit when she speaks to them in Spanish! ~he-he~

Okay ... enough about me! I LOVED starting my day off with a walk on the spicier side of life ... maybe it will inject some needed energy for tackling that dreaded To Do List for the weekend. I really need all the help I can get since I have an Olympic Opening Ceremony Pizza Party hangover! Wow, that ran late! ~hiccup~

Love ya, Skay! (Hey, GINI, my early-bird friend!) ~*~ Karen

Sharon Kay said...

Gini...
I love my glass shelves with all the jars and bottles...but absolutely hate cleaning the stuff. And as it is scant feet away from my kitchen stove...which you know I use a LOT....it gets dirty...and stays that way. I was just not in the mood to clean the thing just to take one measly picture! LOL
The red chile sauce was used to spice up the meat in the tamales. It can also be used as enchilada sauce....or to pour over chile rellenos, etc. Red chile sauce is Mexican gravy! ;)

Sharon Kay said...

Karen,
How fun to hear the stories about your mom and her appreciation for Mexican food. It is wonderful that we can find so much variety now in our supermarkets and specialty shops. The world is not so big! ;)

I went to bed before it was over. I'm an early bird, too...like gini in Maine. 'Course, she gets a head start on us Westerners, doesn't she?

Go forward, Karen, and slay the 'to-do list' monsters! :)

gini said...

SWEETNESS.. this is what I feel now..
you guys are my SPICE in Maine. he hee hee
g

Dawn said...

ahhh..."red or green?"...the official question in the Southwest! they're both yummy, but the green ones are my favorite. i love the smell of the green chiles roasting the the fall!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Sharon Kay said...

gini...and all things nice, yes?

Dawn...that made me laugh! It's so true. Hubby's green...I'm red. But I admit, I also love green. Heck, I'll take chiles nearly anyway I can get them. And Amen to the roasting chile smell...pure heaven!