Thursday, February 18, 2010

SAN XAVIER MISSION-Chapter Three

Tohono O'Odham means 'desert people' and the plants of the Sonoran desert provide the materials for their much sought after baskets. 

These are some beautiful examples on display in the San Xavier Mission museum.

This is their flag.


The 'man in the maze' is often connected with this tribe and symbolizes man's spiritual search toward 'center.'
Here, it is painted on a wall in the museum.


This also is painted on a wall in the museum.

I love the colors!

On the facade of the church, you will see this cat chasing the mouse.  Legend has it that if the cat ever chases the mouse, that will be the end of the world.


Buildings such as these cast some pretty interesting shadows at times.  I was happy that I didn't miss this one!



Along a courtyard wall of an adjacent small chapel are the stations of the cross.




Inside the little chapel is this.


These are the bells on the small chapel.

so pretty....so peaceful.




a cross-topped arch


A mosaic-tiled St. Francis


and the Virgin of Guadalupe



On one of the ramadas, I saw this 'cristo.'  A young Tohono O'Odham woman told me her grandfather had made it and placed it there, many,many years ago.  This may be my favorite piece of all the religous art to be found at San Xavier. 

To learn more about the Tohono O'Odham people, visit


Also, there seem to be many good videos on youtube.  I especially like this one which shows the special relationship of the T. O. people with the saguaro cactus.


It  has become apparent to me, that I have consistantly typed "O'Odham"...when it fact it should be written O'odham.

I am grateful for your forgiveness of my ignorance and carelessness.

And I am grateful for San Xavier Mission and the Tohono O'odham- people of the desert.





















4 comments:

gini said...

Skay, Timing.. all about timing I hear..
This piece has brought much PEACE for me today.
Your gratefulness has flowed to me.
thank you for the three chapters.. Divine
love
gini
I am grateful for your friendship. :)

Sharon Kay said...

gini...That's wonderful to hear! Inner peace, however, just like inner turmoil, is self-produced, don't you think? Perhaps you just allowed your Self to remember that as you read this blog and looked at the peaceful pictures. ;)
However peace came upon you, I'm glad it did.
And I am grateful for yours.

Dawn said...

for some reason i felt compelled to trace the maze with my finger :~D

thanks for this beautiful mini-series! now i'm off to Lufkin...

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...I was actually thinking about printing that picture and doing the same thing. Maybe I will. ;)

Lufkin??? :(

LOL