Thursday, February 11, 2010

OLD HIPPIES LOOKING AT GOD

Recently I saw a PBS documentary on hippies and was struck by how much resemblence there is in that movement and the present 'new-age' movement.  By the way, I don't like that term at all.  It has, for many a really negative connotation.  But then, so does the term 'hippie.'  And when you get right down to it, both terms are meaningless.

Actually, even though I'm of that era, age-wise, I never got into concept of 'hippie-dom.'  I was too busy being wife and mommy.  There was no free-love in my world.  And no drugs.  And little rock and roll, either.

I was almost completely dedicated to the idea of living the 'American dream', whatever that meant.

Married-check
Two kids-check
Working for a living-check
Being responsible-check
Accumulate money and belongings-check
Follow the masses-whoops....had a little trouble with that one although I mostly kept my rebellious thoughts hidden...even from myself. 

Today, I have more in common with hippies, in some ways.  I do believe in making love, not war.  I'm not talking about making sex.  I'm talking about creating love, joy and peace instead of creating fear, death and destruction.

I believe in respecting and caring for Mother Earth and getting back to nature for our needs...instead of automatically turning to modern day chemicals which often bite us in the arse!

Suggested reading:  SELU, SEEKING THE CORN MOTHER'S WISDOM  by Marilou Awiakta

I believe our food should not be messed with....as in being genetically altered.  And that if you possibly can, it's better to grow your own or at least, buy locally. 

Suggested reading:  ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver

I'm not into sitting around contemplating my belly-button, but I do believe that meditation is a good thing to practice.

Suggested reading:  WHEREVER YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE by Jon Kabot-Zinn

I don't believe in using hallucinogenic drugs to get in touch with God...by whatever name...but I sure do believe in reaching toward an expanded conciousness of God...by whatever name.

Suggested reading:  COMMUNION WITH GOD by Neale Donald Walsch

Mary M, AKA Mimi and 'Sweet Tea', a very special friend of mine, recently wrote some amazingly powerful words and posted them on facebook.  I asked for and got her permission to copy them here.

"If we can view all of our world as if we are looking at God (and of course we are!) we could never hurt another thing. Be love and be loved!"



That is a totally 'hippie' idea.  And it is also totally a 'new-age' idea.  It's also the central idea and ideal of most, if not all, ancient religions and philosophies.

I think it's a good one.

I am so grateful Mimi/Mary is open to hearing the truth and then sharing it with us all.

Thanks, Sweet Tea! 


11 comments:

HappyCrone said...

As you know, Sharon, I am in complete agreement as usual! Love todays blog,wise words!

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks due to our Mary/mimi for those good words, HC.

Donna said...

I am left speechless

Sharon Kay said...

Profound words will do that to you, Donna. That's why as soon as I read what Mary wrote, I knew I just HAD to put it on here. It worked perfectly with an idea that was already stewing in my brain. :)

Louise Moran said...

Brain Stew is good, so much better than Primordial Soup...LOL.....Another profound SkayBlog....much Gratitude

Dawn said...

i couldn't have said it better myself.

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks, Louise...and Dawn, too.
The Gratitude goes both ways.
Namaste!

gini said...

And God smiles...
Namaste

gini

I am grateful for words.

Anonymous said...

One gratful hippie

Unknown said...

I see you <00> and it is all good/God!

Sharon Kay said...

'And God smiles'
gini...I like that image.
Anonymous....me, too.
sandy...welcome! I see you, too!