Saturday, February 27, 2010

I DID IT AGAIN!

I just wrote a post about seeing things as they really are instead of as they appear on that imprinted tv screen behind your eyeballs.


I wrote it about painting...and about life.

Then, I started a painting with a bunch of flowers in it and I painted those flowers as they appear on that imprinted tv screen behind my eyeballs. They looked like.........well, you know. Starts with 'h'. Rhymes with 'bell.' In short, they looked like hell.



I could not help myself. I had a little rhyme going on there and just had to play it out! Sorry for the bad word. A little.

Anyway, even with the words I had just written still ringing in my own ears, I reverted to old bad habits the very next day!

And isn't that just the way it is. We 'learn' a truth. Believe it. Share it. Preach it. And then, we act as if we'd never learned it at all.

Someone says or does something we perceive as unkind to us and we get hurt, angry or fearful and forget that we have a choice in the matter. When, in fact, we do. We can choose to look at the old re-play of the movie flickering on our mind's tv screen. Or we can open our minds and see that we can choose to not react to an unkindness at all. It doesn't have to hurt us. It doesn't have to anger us. And it doesn't have to scare us.

And that, is the truth.
We see it.
We believe it.
Share it.
Preach it.
And then.......well you know what happens next.

But with time and practice and determination and mind cleansing, that can change. It really can. Change isn't always easy. I had to re-paint a whole lot of this painting to create the illusion of reality.  I didn't succeed...totally.  I still see many things which could be improved.  But it's better than it was.  And I choose to pat myself on the back for what I've done better than to beat myself up for what I haven't done perfectly.



And that's the way we create reality, instead of illusion, in our lives.  We just do it again...but in a different way...till eventually it becomes second nature.

We can choose drama.

In a painting, that might be a good touch.  In life, it just gets tiring.

Or, we can choose peace.

Peace, in a painting is often desirable.  And for me, it is always preferable in my life.  Peace.  Joy.  Love.

And gratitude.

All choices.

I continue to be grateful for the life lessons which painting teaches me.

9 comments:

gini said...

I love it!!! popping right out into my hands, those flowers.. smile
peace and gratitude
g
xo
Is hell a bad word? I hear it on TV and radio all the time.. he he he
(smile)
Life is an never ending journey of learning.
I seem to be a better student than when I was a girl.. Good thing!! smile

Dawn said...

you're right about the word "hell", gini, in fact most of the infamous "7 words you can never say on television" are now on TV all the time! poor old George Carlin sounds positively quaint now, rest his soul.
seems like we have an overabundance of drama addicts in the small town i live in. maybe because there's not much else going on? it really wears me out.

Sharon Kay said...

Gini...good morning....are you painting with those new brushes yet? ;)

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...good morning to you, too. I love living in Tucson 'cause nobody knows my business and I don't have to hear about anybody's drama unless I want to. I remember that about small towns. There's lots of good things about small towns...that aspect in NOT one of them! ;)
I miss ol' George!

gini said...

Oh.. I loved George!!! We'd always laugh a little harder when he said the 'naughty' words.. he he
Dawn.. I love that name.. I have a beautiful poem I cherish... "Comes the Dawn".
It's all about with every goodbye we learn.
I had it magnet'ed.. on my frig for years!!
I am grateful for Peace...no matter where it comes from..
SMILE
gini

gini said...

Dear Skay...
NOPE not yet... keep a pushing me.. I need it..
he he he
I'm looking for a nice 'cool' paint shirt now..
I'm going to try abstract.. I'm SKEERED, Skay.
HeLP!!
just kidding.. well really, NOT.. I have a vision.. that helps
snowing now.. So I thought Spring was here? OMG NOT.. he he
love
gini

Sharon Kay said...

Gini,
Don't be skeered!
Just play with your paint!
That's what I'm doing right now.
And I'm still in my robe and jammies. ;)
me

Debbie Brown said...

Hi Sharon~
You said, "But it's better than it was. And I choose to pat myself on the back for what I've done better than to beat myself up for what I haven't done perfectly."

Amen to that my friend!!! :) me too :) Nhanks!

We had such a fun day today and found a great little shop with all kinds of cool things. Enchanting music playing there....bought the CD called "Elephant Prayers"...now it plays here. I have always had a "thing" for elephants and when I asked the clerk what CD was playing that seem to speak to me and she told me the name...I giggled and had to buy it. Ted is listening to now and loves it.

Then I stopped here in Arizona tonight before bed and found some huge gorgeous flowers of vibrant colors and fragrance to match! Perfect ending to a day well spent.

Patting myself on the back tonight as I lay me down to sleep. Grateful for this day of harmonious events.

Goodnight and sweet dreams One and All,
Debbie

Donna said...

I hear a message in this directed at me...LOL
Thanks for the reminder....CHOOSE PEACE