Friday, February 26, 2010

WHAT A DAY!

On Wednesday, I said on here that I am grateful for water.


On Thursday, I became even more grateful.

I painted through the early morning hours, as usual, but needed to stop and get things cleaned up as I was going to my friend, Lori's. I turned on the water in my studio sink to clean my brushes...and no water came out!!!! No water came from the kitchen tap either! I panicked!
I knew I had paid the bill.... even though it was a tad late.
I looked outside and saw a veritable river of water running down our alley...and from the front yard, I could see a number of water department vehicles...back hoes, etc. A worker finally came by and told us a major 'main' had broken and we would not have water for about 3 hrs. But before they turned it off for the duration...in a few minutes...they'd turn it on again so everybody could gather up some water. We got enough to make it through the hours ahead without the blessing of running water. Or at least, for hubby to make it…. ‘cause I was headed to Lori’s where, thankfully, toilets would still flush!

Lori and I have a truly honest relationship…especially when it comes to our opinions regarding home décor and landscaping. By that, I mean, when I don’t like something she’s done, I have absolutely no problem letting her know. And she is the same.

She had a rather large mirror in her guest room which had a shiny silver finish. Every time I walked into that room last week when I was there hanging pictures, I’d about gag! Finally, I blurted out. “I really hate that mirror!”

I am so diplomatic.

So, Lori, being the great delegator that she is, replied,

“Well, do something about it.”

So, I did. I brought it home and painted it a soft blue and gave it an antique look.

I still think it needs to be softened with a bit more paint, but we’re going to leave it as is, for right now and see what we think later.

Anyway….after leaving Lori’s, I stopped by a thrift store to look for a frame for my newest painting, LA SENORA.

I didn't find one.

What I did find, when I got back to my car, is that it wouldn't start. I called Chuck to the rescue and long story short, we wound up having to purchase a new battery. Luckily, there was an auto parts place nearby and so it was fairly easy to buy a new battery and get it installed. $80, every few years, I guess, is little to pay for a battery ,but of course, right now, even $80 knocks a king-sized hole in our monthly budget.

While waiting for Chuck to get the battery installed I found things for which to be grateful and soon I was feeling a lot less stressed.

Things like, it isn’t freezing cold while we’re standing out here in this parking lot working on the car. And it isn’t pouring down rain. As a matter of fact, it is a lovely day.

Things like the snow covered mountains look really beautiful. and I've got to see three different ranges looking especially beautiful today!


The Santa Rita's...way south of us.



The Rincons...just east of us.



The Santa Catalina's...just north of us.

Things like, the money is available to pay for the battery.


Things like, Wow! What an interesting looking tree!


Things like I actually have my camera with me and I can take pictures of said tree!

Look at how low to the ground that long branch is growing!

It was way past lunch and nap time when I finally got home. But I checked my e-mail and lo and behold, one of my regular blog readers (Hi Debbie!)  wanted to buy LA SENORA! The price I quoted her helped a lot toward the expense of the battery! They've already pay-pal-ed me the money. I am grateful!!!!!!!

While cat-napping, I realized that on this particular painting, I want a nice glossy finish so I needed to go to Michael's for some varnish and a good brush for varnishing. By the time I got up from my rest, it was nearly 4. Off I went, in the worst traffic! I NEVER go out during the rush hour traffic, but today, I did!

I was in Michael's contemplating which brush to get for varnish, when a woman reached for a brush in the display, held it toward me and asked if I painted with acrylics and had I tried this wonderful brush?

Her name is Marilyn. She has taken and taught many painting lessons. She paints mostly landscapes in acrylics. Her husband got laid off from a truck driving job in his late 50's. Now, he mostly plays WOW on the computer and smokes. She doesn't smoke, but smoking doesn't bother her at all. (Ya'll know I smoke.)  She teaches 'painting' in a residence for disabled adults. She lives very close to me. She misses, horribly, having someone to share 'painting' with. She insisted that even though I've never had any lessons or training, she is certain she can learn as much from me as I can from her! As we made ourselves stop talking (because her cute little granddaughter was getting a little impatient with us) and I walked away...she said, ya know I luv ya!

Did she really say that?  Is it possible?

Or maybe it was a God whisper!

Oh PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE, Dear Universe, let this be the painting friend I need and want so badly!!!!

I wish ya'll could read something..........well...I'll just make it so that you can....that a dear artist friend wrote to me the other day and it made me cry!

She wrote:

My point is, that you have been aiming yourself at that kind of versatility and succeeding...


all by yourself. That's amazing. I can only guess at the time and energy you've spent


to be able to learn, integrate and DO all that you have done. You're angsting over


a figure to get it right, believable..... gotta tell you girlfriend, you have more persistence


and talent than most art students. 'Self-taught' is very hard, .... isolated, w/o encouragement,


instruction, or rubbing shoulders in a classroom/ art studio (all of the things that


fuel the rest of us).

To have someone acknowledge that for me was ...well, I'm sitting here just not having a clue what words to use.

But it meant the world to me.....and I'm all teary-eyed over it again.

Finally, about eight hours after the water had been turned off, it got turned back on. I ran outside and hollered my thanks to those hard working men. And I meant it!

And you know what else? You know that interesting tree that I took pictures of? Well, one of them is totally perfect for today’s blog entry.


Because………

Sometimes, we need a little help from our friends. A little encouragement. A little support.

What a blessed day this has been!

And I am most grateful!

10 comments:

gini said...

Good Morning Skay,
Well, you made me laugh.. (good thing) and you brought tears to my eyes..
OH YES.. GOD whisper is was dear friend.
Now you can rub shoulders with someone with the same passion as you and receive the encouragement you may need.I am so happy for you!!
The tree was a God whisper too I think..
I am grateful every single morning FOR YOU and your rubbing my cyber shoulder to get painting!!
water is so soft and sometimes taken for granted.
NOT today, Right? he he he
I'm going to get new supplies this morning.yippe.. what was the brush???? LOL
So happy and full of
love and gratitude
gini
xo

Sharon Kay said...

Just get a pretty big one, gini...at least an inch and a half. I am thrilled to hear this!
hugs.
Sharon

HappyCrone said...

Tears and laughter! That is what you bring me in many of your blogs! Damn, Girlfriend, I am sooooooo happy to know you! You always remind me to be grateful!

Donna said...

Instead of wind beneath my wings.....you are the brick beneath my trunk....LOL.....lovely story gf...thanks

Sharon Kay said...

HC, the feeling is mutual, I assure you! :)

Sharon Kay said...

Donna...I am so grateful that I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read what you wrote! I would have spit it all over, for sure! That was hilarious...and also, very sweet! :)

Debbie Brown said...

Hi Sharon,
Without reading any of the comments so far I wanted to tell you that you have reminded me of a funny story and of a wonderful friend.

First the funny story...
It was about 20 years ago or more in the middle of the day and I was home alone. I had just applied the bleach blond home kit to all my hair and was waiting to rinse it out. "Ding" went the timer and I went to the sink....NO WATER! YIKES! PANIC! My son had taken my car that day...all my neighbors worked and friends and family lived a good 45 minutes away. We lived on a corner lot and I looked out the door and there were 4 men working on the main water line at the curb. I yelled to them, "How long?" The older man said, "about 3-4 hours". By then I had tromped across the yard with hair in towel explaining, "you don't understand I have bleach in my hair that needed to be rinsed 5 minutes ago!!!" He quickly offered me a lift in his pickup to the water station he worked from a few miles away so that I could rinse my hair. Of course at first I said "no! I don't even know you". Then they other guys chimed in with "he's ugly but he's harmless..you're safe with him". So, I hopped in with shampoo and clean towel in hand. Arrived at the water station and leaned over his sink to rinse the bleach out and shampoo. A total stranger in the form of an old geezer came my way that day to help me out. I was grateful and I didn't even care if he was staring at my butt as I leaned over the sink or the other old geezer that was at the station. LOL!

Now about the wonderful friend...
My friend of over 32 years is named "Marilyn" and sounds just like your friend Lori that will let you take their mirrors and have at it! Sounds like this brush lady named Marilyn was sent your way in good timing.

Just connecting the dots and smiling big at how there is always a bigger picture to paint!

Thanks for the battery story. We never know, do we.... When our batteries need charged and even replaced? But God/the Universe is always there to help. Honored that La Senora will be moving here soon. I promise to keep her warm!

Ok.. reading from the others here now.
Love,
debbie

Debbie Brown said...

(((Gini~HappyCrone~Donna)))
Hi all!!!
Lovely posts. Sharon brings us all laughter and inspiration in her stories that we can all relate to in our regular days of profoundly simple living with gratitude. :) I have never known her to be any other way.
Love,
debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie, what a story!!! It sure could have turned out differently. You could have been bald-headed for lack of a little water...and a little help from a 'friend'.
God bless all our friends...whether they are with us for a lifetime...or only till we get the bleach rinsed out of our hair!

Debbie Brown said...

Amen Sharon!
I gave that old guy a big hug for helping me out that day. We didn't have cell phones then so Ted had to wait till he got home from work that day to hear about "my day". He cracked up! We still crack up over that. It was a "I Love Lucy" kind of a day! And I have had a few of those in my lifetime....like we all have, I'm sure.

Always a pleasure to come here and read and laugh and be moved and get inspired.

OH...and I have been BALD before too! But that happened at a fancy, schmancy beauty salon. I'll save that story for another day.~giggle~
Love,
Debbie