Tuesday, November 3, 2009

BE HAPPY!




Way back in 1982, I wrote a column for one of those small town ‘throw away’ weekly papers. I called my column “Shenanigans.” There’s no story behind that name. I just liked the sound…and the look…of it.

Once in a while, here on this blog, I am going to resurrect one of those columns. It’s very interesting to me to see how my perspective has changed over the last quarter century. QUARTER CENTURY!!!! Did I just type those astonishing words????? Well, I guess I did.

Excuse me, please. I need a moment to get over that.


*******************************************************************************


Shenanigans, August 25, 1982

Sometimes it’s a bloody nuisance to be a grown up, responsible and mature. Sometimes, what I want most of all is to be eight years old again and expected to act like a child. Sometimes, I just do not like being a grown up!

Some days, I’d just like to chuck it all and go sit under a friendly tree and watch the caterpillars crawl…or study the patterns on a butterfly’s wing…or follow the trials and tribulations of an ant, as he struggles, intent on getting his burden home to his ant family.

Sometimes, I’d like to sit and hold a leaf in my hand and trace the intricate and delicate patterns made by the fingerlike veins. I’ve got a big comfortable hammock in my back yard, under the grape arbor. Oh, how I’d love to spend the afternoon lying there, swinging a bit and doing nothing but let my mind wander with the clouds. How long it’s been since I found dragons and unicorns and clowns and Indian chiefs sailing through the blue sky. Peter Pan!!! Where are you and Tinker Bell when I need you? Remember when Peter sings, “I WON’T GROW UP!” That was always my favorite part of the movie.

I have the same rebellious streak at thirty-eight that I had at eight. Why should I grow up, I’d like to know? Growing up, apparently means that you don’t climb trees, don’t swing at the park, dig tunnels in sand piles or stand on your head just ‘cause it feels good. It means you can’t cry when you’re hurt. And ou can’ t stomp your foot when you’re mad! And you can’t just walk up and hug somebody on impulse.

Sometimes, I think that the number one rule for grown-ups is “If it feels good, don’t do it!” and the number two rule is “Whatever you feel, don’t show it.” And the number three rule is “For Heaven’s sake, spend lots of time every day worrying about something!”

Boy, that just sounds like a lot of baloney to me and I hereby announce my intention to be as child-like as I can for the whole weekend. I’m gonna figure out just what it is that will make me feel eight years old again…..and I’m gonna give myself permission to do it! So there!

Anybody wanna go climb a tree with me?

If I could, I’d go reach back in time, and give my 38 year old self a huge hug and a bit of advice. I’d tell her to change her intention to be child-like for just one weekend…to an intention to be child-like for the rest of her natural life! Not to be childish, mind you. That’s a completely different thing. But to keep that child-like wonder and magic alive…. and kicking…and head-standing and cart-wheeling…. by any means necessary! I BELIEVE WE WERE CREATED TO BE JOYFUL!

**********************************************************************************

It took me over half a century of living to figure that out. I wish I’d learned it sooner.

But I’m grateful I learned it at all.



Some poor souls never do.






BE JOYFUL AND BE GRATEFUL!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

test

Sharon said...

another test

Donna said...

Your words are a kind reminder to "smell the coffee and roses, chase moons, fireflies and dreams." Thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

Your blog is an inspiration. Good job. Love the ballarina you.

Sharon Kay said...

Donna...chasing moons, fireflies and dreams are all good things!
Cathy...I loved being that ballerina. We danced to MOONLIGHT AND ROSES. Mom made my costume. I thought I was beautiful! :)