Friday, November 27, 2009

MY FRIEND, CATE........



sent me this.
uhhhhh....it was full when I got it.



There are three foods that I believe prove the existence of God.

1. shrimps

2. avocados

3. strawberries



When I was a girl, I lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Summertime meant strawberries! Wonderful, sun-ripened, ruby- red FAT ones, picked right off the vine!

I love this desert I live on, but like many other of my favorite plants, you just can’t grow strawberries here. I should say I don’t know how to. Maybe someone knows..just not me.

Anywho…….

One day recently, an unexpected package arrived in my mailbox. It came from Cate, so I knew whatever it was, was good!

And it was. It was Merry Christmas good, is what it was!

There were some of her home-made soaps and such…

and this………

this….............

this................

TREASURE!!!!!!




My mouth immediately went into salivation overdrive!

It was all I could do not to tear into those beautiful preserves and just lick them right out of the jar!

But I waited.

I made myself wait.

It was hard, but I did it.

Because………..

One of my very favorite treats, in all the world, is…….

DON’T LAUGH UNLESS YOU’VE TRIED IT!

…..hot cornbread, oozing with lots of melted real butter and then slathered with either strawberry or apricot preserves!!!!

Oh! Just thinking about it nearly makes me swoon.

Or sing.

“Ah, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!”

The next day, I just couldn't wait any longer.  So.....

I made cornbread to go with our good ol’ country meal of pinto beans and fried taters.

Desert?

You got it!

This right here!



I have to admit something. It wasn’t really ‘this right here.’ I ate all of ‘that right there’ without giving one tiny thought to taking a picture of it.

So, I had no choice.

I had to make another pan of cornbread the very next day….so I could have some more of this.




Just look at that picture!

And imagine.

Imagine the sweetness of perfectly sun-ripened strawberry preserves, made, with love, by Cate.



Then, imagine some sweet, creamy butter  …..made, I imagine, by a happy California cow.



Next, imagine, if you can, the savory crunchy cornbread as the perfect counterpoint to all that rich, sweet goodness, made by me. Not really. It’s just Jiffy corn muffin mix.



Then, imagine you've got this sitting right in front of you!




Then, imagine that you’ve died and gone straight to heaven!

Well…that’s where you’ll think you’ve gone just as soon as you get some of this delectable goodness in your mouth where it belongs!









There’s another thing I think proves the existence of God. It’s friends like Cate.


Thanks, Cate. I am truly GRATEFUL!

8 comments:

Donna said...

Well, my mouth is watering to the point of droolation. I will have to try this desert. You make it look irresistable!!!

Sharon Kay said...

"drooation?" Donna, you DO have a way with words! LOL
I promise, it's that good!

Donna said...

No Sharon.....the word is drooLation.......you left out the L. Drooation would have an entirely different meaning don't you think? hehe

Sharon Kay said...

whoops

Free2bfree said...

Dear Skay -- You just have to go and flaunt your good fortune, don't cha!!! Now, I'm gonna be secretly hoping that I rate a surprise package from Cate, too! ~he-he~ I think you just might be right about the shrimp, avacado, and strawberry hypothesis. I'd add one more thing ... pecan pie!!! LOL Now you've given me a hankerin' for some fresh cornbread, California butter, and strawberry preserves ... and I'm still recovering from the Thanksgiving feast at my inlaws. By the way, in my childhood home with my southern Daddy, it was a commandment that there was fresh cornbread at all times in the kitchen. The other required item was the black-strap molasses to go with the
hot, buttery cornbread. Cold cornbread was for crumbling in a glass of milk at bedtime! Thank you for the little jaunt down my own personal Memory Lane, Skay! But could ya please resist featuring any more food until after the holidays? I'm having a hard enough time resisting all of the food temptations as it is!!! ~wink~
Love ya ~*~ Karen

Sharon Kay said...

My grandfather always had biscuits and blackstrap molasses...or honey...for breakfast. Since my cornbread/strawberry preserves feast, I'm wanting some blackstrap molasses! LOL And my mom totally loved her cornbread crumbled up in a tall glass of milk. We have similar country roots, my friend!
I promise...no food in tomorrow's blog....after that...who knows?

Free2bfree said...

By the way ... Skay lives in a desert and loves having cornbread with strawberry preserves for dessert. ~kisses~ And, I love the word "drooLation" ... very fitting!

Sharon Kay said...

Donna is very good at making up words which FIT to a T!