Thursday, November 12, 2009

JEROME, ARIZONA


Last summer, my grandson graduated from high school. Our graduation gift to him was a four day jaunt to some Arizona destinations. On our way to the main attractions, The Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, we drove through Sedona and then to a little place called Jerome. Jerome is an old mining town which is now a very tourist-y but quite interesting place to visit.

http://www.azjerome.com/

The road to Jerome was pretty exciting stuff for that flat-as-a-pancake East Texas guy.


Yep...we're headed up to the top of the mountain and there's lots of switchbacks.  This is not a road for the faint hearted!

There’s all kinds of neat little boutiques and galleries and cafes in Jerome. But this is what interested us the most.

JUNK!

Old, rusted junk at Gold King Mine and Ghost Town.







Honestly, the place is kinda dusty and dirty but we didn’t care. We had a good time anyway.

Some of the old rusty stuff was human.





This old guy runs the antique saw mill.  It's really neat to watch...and listen to...it working.  It makes a delightful buzz and clunkety-clunk...albeit loud.  And what smells better than freshly cut wood?


Then there were these.....don't ask me why there's modern day toilets in an old mining and sawmill museum.  However, somehow, they seemed to fit.
and this....
I liked this photo so much, I made a card from it and named it

 OLD KLUNKER.


I did the same with this one.  This is THE OVER THE HILL GANG.

This  cracked me up!


I never said this blog would be politically correct.  So, if you're a lover of spotted owls, you'll just have to deal with it.

Here's hubby and grandson checking out an old army tank.  Big boy toy stuff.

Here's some little boy...or girl....toy stuff.



Here's some little house on the prarie stuff.





and here's a picture of me enjoying the junk yard at Jerome.


Good bye, Jerome Junk Yard.  We had a lot of fun!

I am so GRATEFUL to have shared this wonderful trip with grandson, Michael.  And, I'm GRATEFUL to realize that this trip gives me, at least, two more blog subjects!  Part Two Coming Soon to a theatre-I mean blog- near you.  Don't miss it!

No comments: