Wednesday, November 18, 2009

HOLY TRINITY MONASTERY ART FAIR-DAY TWO



Day two was soooo much easier than day one. We didn’t have to wake up so doggone early.
That helped.
And it wasn’t quite so cold and cloudy and stormy looking. As a matter of fact…

Sing with me, now.
“Blue skies, smiling on me…nothin’ but blue skies, do I see!”

There's gonna be lots of singing and dancing in this blog.


Doesn't that look better than this?


Well, the sky isn't as pretty, but it sure looks better weather-wise!

Aren’t these early morning shadows on the mountains pretty? And the sun shining brightly on all those prickley pear cacti?  I don't care that 'cacti' is correct.  Cactuses just sounds better.  Or just plain 'cactus.'


Not a bad photo for having been taken out my window at 75 mph, is it?

Sometimes vertical things get all wonky on ya…but still….look at them purty mountains!


I can’t help myself. I have to show you some more ‘from my window’ shots.




I told ya I was shooting out the window!

Sometimes things don't turn out so well.


Don't ask 'cause I don't know.



Meanwhile, back at the Monastery, the peacocks are having breakfast in the pecan orchard.



That beautiful Celtic cross is still soaring straight up into that beautiful, blue, Arizona sky.


But........enough lolligaggin'....

It’s time to get down to business.


Mostly, the business at hand on this blog today is going to be all about music and dancing!
There is a small outdoor stage in the central area of the grounds and I guarantee ya we might as well been in Las Vegas....or Hollywood! Or maybe Dollywood.
 The talent was amazing!

For example:

Let me introduce you to these here happy fellers.

Ladies and Gentlemen!
For your listening pleasure,may I present..................

The Arthritis Brothers String Band


Sawin' on that fiddle is Mr. John Beland.


Doing a mighty fine job plucking that banjo is Mr. John Clabourne.


John?  Are those sunglasses part of your authentic garb?

And finally, the guitar strummin' Mr. Earl Rigg.


I loved listening to these guys sing and play some real authentic old music.  They're good!  Really, really good!  After their performance they stopped by our booth where we learned that they are also very pleasant-and funny-dudes.   Actually, I think hubby and I shanghied them..like a couple of groupies...as they walked by.

Here's their website.

http://members.epowerc.net/arthritisbrothers/

One of the vendors was this guy....Leo A.  Gosselin

What an interesting instrument!
And I guarantee you he played in soulfully and skillfully.  I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that our booths were set up close enough to each other that I got to hear his beautiful music off and on all day.
To learn more about Leo and his CHAPMAN GRAND STICK TOUCHBOARD
go
here.
pssst....he's got great cd's for sale!





Anybody wanna do the boot scootin' boogie?
Yee Haw!
Here we go!



Cowboys love their horses!



HI -YO Silver, Away!!!



This group is known as DANCERS, ETC and they are from Our Lady of the Mountain church in Sierra Vista, Arizona.  Everybody had such a good time watching them tap dance/boot scoot/line dance!

Let's go to the  islands now with these lovely people.  They have performed at every event I've been to at HTM.  They are all of Tonganese descent.  I had to learn a little geography here.  Tonga is an island near New Zealand.  That's basically the end of the geography lesson.


Here's the absolute star of this show!




Oh my!  Look at that face!

Apparently, there is some kind of tradition of placing paper money on  a dancer.  The money stuck to her skin because she had on some kind of oil, at least that is my assumption.
Could it be coconut oil?...makes sense to me.....



I guess I could try this to make a little extra cash.  But, somehow, I don't think I'd get the same reaction. 

I suspect everybody would just go running away as fast as they could go!


There were many more, very good, performers.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to take pictures of them all.

But I got these...of the fantastic, straight-from-New York, New York................................................

ARE YOU READY????????????



drumroll, please


MISS LIZA MINELLI







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Yes, indeed!  Right here on the stage at HOLY TRINITY MONASTERY!
 
She sang!


 


She danced!









She rocked us!
She wowed us!
She had us right in the palm of her hand!



And the crowd went wild!




SHE WAS AWESOME!!!!


But, she isn't really Liza.

She is Suzanne Klasen from Sonoita, Arizona.  I visited with this extremely talented young lady and found her to be absolutely delightful.

Read all about her here.


And you can even listen to her sing!

A lttle whisper to the HTM staff:  Could ya', please, move the table and other stuff off the stage so I can get better pictures next time?  Thank you.  I would 'preciate it.


Well.....that 'bout does it for today.  There'll be one more HTM blog tomorrow because I still have lots of pictures I want to show you.  I hope you're enjoying them.  I think you can see why I love this place so much.  As a matter of fact, there are rumours afoot that I might just be headed back for another visit very soon.

I need to buy some of their pecans.  I need to see if they have any more pecan pies for sale.  And I need, I NEED....I really DO.... NEED to take me some more pictures to show you-ones without all the show tents and canopies in the way.  And maybe some from the nature trail.  And...well, whatever wondrous wonders I might find.

Bye friends  Have a happy day.  See ya' tomorrow, I hope.

I am GRATEFUL for all the people who performed so beautifully over the weekend!

And I am GRATEFUL for sunny skies!

8 comments:

Donna said...

Welll my goodness.........Liza? What I want to know is did you boot scoot?

Sharon Kay said...

No, I didn't bootscoot. But I wanted to!

Lori said...

How fun. Didn't the father's dance when we were there years ago?

Sharon Kay said...

Yes, it was great fun!
I don't remember the fathers dancing..but maybe they did.

Dallas said...

This is great!

Sharon Kay said...

Dallas...so glad you like it and so glad you figured out how to post a comment! Thanks.

Joan Cerio said...

Such fun. My 10 year old granddaughter quickly took over the computer and mouse as we sat here reading your blog - you have another fan - she enjoyed herself.

Sharon Kay said...

Joan,
That pleases me mightily. Please tell her I'm so happy enjoyed herself.