Wednesday, November 11, 2009

VETERAN'S DAY



Life is happening at a pretty fast pace, these days. I’m getting prepared for an art show this weekend. Of course, I’m working on this blog. I’m trying to get some of my Be Grateful coffee mugs available on my web-site and looking for other ways to spread the Gospel of Gratitude.


And so….



…..today kind of snuck up on me.



It shouldn’t have, because I watched the very moving ceremonies at Ft. Hood yesterday and an announcer mentioned that today is Veteran’s Day. It’s also noted right there on my calendar. But somehow, it just didn't sink it.

It hit me, in the middle of the night. And I knew I’d have to get something special written for this special day and for one special person.

I was born twelve days before the Battle of the Bulge began.

My dad, a paratrooper, was there.

After he came home, he seldom talked about it. As a matter of fact, I only have one memory of him describing what it was like during those dark, cold horror-filled days. He did, however, insist on keeping lots of lights on and the heat turned up pretty high, saying that he intended never to be cold or in the dark again.

As a child I absolutely adored my Daddy.


He and I were such good buddies when I was a little tomboy. Our relationship, as often happens, became very complicated as I grew older. After I matured enough to have a modicum of understanding of his WWII experience, I called him every year on Veteran’s Day, just to say “Thank You.”
I think that meant something to him. I hope so.

So, when I realized that today is Veteran’s Day, I knew what I had to do.



Thank you, Daddy.





I am GRATEFUL for your service and your sacrifice. Rest in peace.



12 comments:

Donna said...

I too watched the memorial service yesterday and was moved more than usual as it seems to take a lot to move me these days. This also moved me so thank you and thank you Sharons' dad........God bless you.

Sharon Kay said...

What a nice thing to post here, Donna. Thank you.
Yesterday's service was heart-breaking.

Shelly Streck said...

What a wonderful tribute to your daddy. I keep thinking I know it all, and then you inform me of things I never knew... such as Uncle J.T. fighting at the Battle of the Bulge. And that he was overseas when you were born. And his desire for light and heat after his nightmare of an ordeal in the war. So, THANK you to Uncle J.T. and my Daddy, Ballard, and to all American soldiers for paying the price for our freedom. God Bless.

Sharon Kay said...

Shelly, This morning, I was also thinking of your dad- my 'favorite uncle-we'll keep that a secret ;)...and so many of my other uncles...Clay, Pete, Chap, Lloyd, Marvin....all of whom came home safely, if not unscathed, from WWII and Korea. Thanks to them all. I should have added that Daddy was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. Thankfully, it wasn't too serious.

Shelly said...

tears are falling...

Cathy Cadd said...

What a wonderful photo of your dad. I think most of the soldiers that came home didnt talk about it. My dad and Uncles did not talk either. One of my Uncles worked with war dogs in the Pacific Theater. His photo was on Stars and Stripes, in the National Geographic and several weeks ago on the show History Detective show casing the War Dogs effort. We are just now finding out about his service. Thank you to all our Service Man and Women.

Joan Cerio said...

Thank you for the peek into your father's story.

Sharon Kay said...

Cathy..I think, for lots of them, it was just too horrible to talk about. I add my thanks to yours.

Sharon Kay said...

Joan...I know there are so many stories..way too many.

Joan Cerio said...

Looking back on pictures like your dad's from the age I am now makes me see the barely out of youth place of life where many of our soldiers are.

Tracie Montgomery Walker said...

am i on here now ...i mean if i am holy @#$&* i'm proud of myself

Sharon Kay said...

Doggone Girl! I'm proud of you too! ;)