Tuesday, November 3, 2009

MANIC MUCH?

I don’t think I’ve always been like this. But the last several years, I seem to have lost my balance…along with my memory…my smooth, supple skin.and my perky….well, you know.

Here’s the deal. I get me an idea to do something and instead of carefully dipping my toes into the water to give it a try, I dive in head first and don’t come up for air till I just can’t hold my breath any longer. In other words, I become obsessed and possessed and completely compulsive about whatever it is I'm doing.

When I first started painting, canvases were only the beginning. I soon began painting on almost anything I could put my hands on.

I painted on big pots, small pots and cast iron bells.


And on tiles of all shapes and sizes….
I painted on furniture and mailboxes.
I painted a gazillion Christmas ornaments…but somehow, I’ve lost all my picture of those.

Hubby said that he kept moving so I wouldn’t paint him! At the time, he was a cross-country truck driver, so that kept him well out of reach of my paintbrushes most of the time.




As a result of some spilled purple paint, I went off the deep end decorating my patio. It's become a bit faded and worn since then, but I guess it's still colorful!


Let’s just call this what it is…..a color frenzy!

A few years ago, I got into doing mosaics. Before I was done, I had two friends also addicted to smashing and gluing broken pottery and tiles. And I was mosaic-ing all kinds of stuff… Some of it pretty wild and weird!



I have compulsively produced collage cards…..





You might recognize this one.


................... and paper mache crosses-made from empty paper towel and toilet paper tubes.








And now, I’ve started this blog. And I’m doing the same thing I’ve always done. I can’t sleep because my head keeps spinning with ideas. Words are twirling and swirling in my frenetic brain! I have become inordinately attached to my camera….because of all the photos I take for the blog. I am begging all my friends to read it and to, pretty please, leave me a comment so I know somebody is reading this!!!

I have no pride whatsoever.

Absolutely the only thing I have never been compulsive about is neatness.






And oh yeh…..my appearance….




But I'm happy!



And I'm grateful!

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Sharon, your blog is stunning. What a treat!

Sharon Kay said...

Thank you, so much, Sheila. And thank you for commenting! That means the world to me. I hope you keep coming back.

Donna said...

So, there are more of us out there......OCD's....this was a fun read.

Sharon Kay said...

That's probably it, Donna. Glad you enjoyed.

Leslie Bradford said...

Hey there, Skay, my long last Garden friend! Good to see you are blogging and painting and obsessing in the good way. Louise sent me over from FB to see your good work here. I have gotten a lot of miles out of your cards. People do love them!
I have a blog and am right into it, too.
Book will be out by the end of the month. Thanks for your cheerleading! Finally, a face to go with that name! Nice to meet you.
Leslie

Leslie Bradford said...

ALmost forgot, Marilee (Ya Ya) has a blog at:
http://soulspeak.guidanceenergy.com/profile/MarileePallant

Sharon Kay said...

Leslie! So good...no GREAT...to see your comment! And thanks for the link to marilee's blog. I'm having a bit of an issue adding favorite links to mine...or I'd put both of you on here. I got one on...then..some kind of glitch! I'll get it figured out, eventually.
Can't wait to read THE GARDEN THAT GREW HER. Congratulation!

lanietx said...

OCD is the new "normal" and as far as i am concerned, its the only way to be!

lanietx said...

After reading your blog this morning i began to obsess a little on OCD. I believe that our God gave us OCD as a gift. If you think about it, OCD truly means "passion" and "drive" which equals ACCOMPLISHMENTS! (or die trying)
Gods intent for OCD is a means for us to achieve our accomplishments, but like so many things in our world today, it has become twisted. So many times OCD has become an ugly term used in our society as and excuse for bad behaviors, failure, and a reason to obtain prescription drugs. That was never Gods intent.

My grandson, Garrett, comes to mind, as i watch him play. He has this toy airplane (like the ones that papa works on) it comes apart with big bolts and chunky parts. He will sit for long periods of time working so passionately trying to put that airplane together only to take it apart once again. He will hollar out at me, "LOOK NEENEE!!!" Now that is the true intent for OCD, showing a child what he can accomplish.

In short OCD is something to be greatful for!

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_06ffab71ff81438baeddb84178b06318

lanietx said...

i have to wonder how many times i can post a comment before blogspot or MIL make me get my own blogspot!!! LOL

i will end my series of comments with this:

Skay painting passionately on everything she could find, made me think of a lady i met locally. our office provides dentistry for CBA medicaid program. CBA is a program that helps disabled adults and elderly. One of our patients brought in her portfolio of paintings. she wanted to give one to our doctor as a gift of appreciation. however, her paintings were not on canvas, she could not afford canvas. her paintings were on any pieces of card board that she could find. many were painted on the cardboard coverings of her meals brought to her each day by meals on wheels organization. she spoke of being grateful when she found a piece of cardboard to paint on!

i was grateful for her showing us the simple things in life and for her art portfolio

Joan said...

I am so grateful to see the picture of the "cafe" mug we all had - mine met its end but seeing it here it lives on in memory.

Sharon Kay said...

Elaine, I love that you had so much to say. I was surprised....NOT! LOL
Elaine is my wonderful daughter-in-law.

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, I'm glad to see you here and I'm glad you spotted the cafe mug. Someday, I intend to write a post about our wonderful cafe group.

Shelly Streck said...

your art work is stunning! I mean it...especially love the mosaics. Also, I admire your patio. Been meaning to tell you that :)

Sharon Kay said...

Thank you, Shelly. I wish you could join me on the patio. The weather here is perfect right now.