Monday, December 28, 2009

THE DATING GAME

After two and a half months of writing this blog, it's finally happened.
I am just not in the mood to come up with anything to post for tomorrow morning.
But, I must.  Because I've made this committment, haven't I? 
So........I have to do something...but what?

Hmmm.....I'm thinkin'.  I'm thinkin'.

I've got it!

I'm going to tell you a little story about something that happened when, at the age of 40-plus, I found myself back in the dreaded dating game.

I wasn't really looking for love.  To be perfectly honest, what I really wanted was a good dancing partner. 

So anyway....
I met this guy, who shall remain nameless...or maybe not.  His name was Gary.  Gary wasn't a great dancer, but he was a nice enough guy, so I went out with him a couple of times.  On one of our dates, I lost an earring in his car.  I loved those earrings.  They were vintage rhinestone ones that I found in an antique store.

I want to make it perfectly clear that the earring just slipped off my ear.  They were clip-ons.  There was NO hanky-panky going on AT ALL!

I didn't worry too much about it, thinking I'd just look around the passenger seat of his car on our next date.  But, there wasn't a next date.  Gary just didn't call.  I had no idea why and really didn't much care but I did want my earring back.  So, I tried calling him.  I called and I called.  I left messages...all to no avail.

I wanted my dadgum earring back and I was getting pretty ticked off about the whole thing.

As a last resort, I wrote to him.

Here's what I said.

"In my dim and distant past.
Never was I dumped so fast.
And I'll admit, I have no clue
Of what might have offended you.
This woman scorned will not attack.
I simply want my earring back!

Please.
Thank you."

I truly thought that a little humour would be the right touch to address the whole issue.  I was amazed that, still, he didn't call and never acknowledged the messages I left for him.

Rude!

A few weeks later, my friend and I were driving by a popular bar/dance hall and we spotted his car.

We immediately channeled Thelma and Louise!

We pulled in behind his car, blocking his escape...and lo and behold, about that time, we saw him walking toward us.

I hopped out, calmly confronted him and demanded (quite nicely) to be allowed to search inside his car for my earring.  He sort of had no choice.  Well, he could have denied me, but then he really would have been showing what a jerk and a loser he was, so I guess he decided to just let me look.

I found my earring.

And drove off with Thelma.

I might have even managed to toss my hair in contempt.

One day, several months later, Gary rang my doorbell.  He hemmed and hawed and acted completely embarrassed...which he should have....and asked my forgiveness for his strange behaviour and would I consider going out with him again.

Does anyone care to take a guess what I might have said to him?

Sometimes, I am so very, very GRATEFUL for being dumped by Gary.

And, I am very GRATEFUL that you, my friends, will accept this simple story as my offering today and you won't hold it against me.

Thank You.
Me



6 comments:

Donna said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........too much Christmas cheer and now your brain is fogged?

Sharon Kay said...

Too much Christmas sugar is more like it. Cakes, Pies, Cookies, Candy....enough already!!! LOL

Dawn said...

i can just imagine what you said to that loser (**laughs maniacally**). he wasn't completely worthless - at least he was good for a story LOL.

Sharon Kay said...

Yes,Dawn, for that, I am grateful! ;)

HappyCrone said...

as it is Monday and I am fighting a cold/flu I have to say I haven't cracked my face either way until now. Thank you for bringing a smile to my otherwise stoney face! And for that I am grateful...

Sharon Kay said...

Ah, dear HC...I'm so sorry you're feeling under the weather and I'm happy to have given you a grin. ;) Feel better soon!