Friday, December 18, 2009

A SEASON OF GIVING



Last year, I took the 29 Day Giving Challenge offered by founder, Cami Walker, through her website



It was a fabulously fun experience. For some, it’s been a truly healing experience.

I only stuck with the program for a little over a month, but the program has stuck with me ever since.

The idea behind the challenge is do a ‘give’ every day and then share your ‘give’ on the website. You will find some fantastic new ideas for giving from reading all the posts there. You will also find that most people report being blessed with more ‘receives’ than they ‘give.’


Some days, it was really hard for me to come up with an idea for my ‘give.’ I’m pretty much a stay-at-home and sending cards, e-mails or making phone calls meant to encourage, soon got pretty same ol’ same ol’ feeling.

One afternoon, I realized I had not yet done my daily ‘give’ and had no clue what on earth I could do. Then, it occurred to me that the nearby grade school would soon be letting out for the day and I knew what I would do.

I took a dollar bill outside and ‘hid’ it at the edge of my sidewalk. I put a small rock on it to keep it from blowing away. Then, I hid my own self behind the living room picture window and waited…and watched.

Before long, here came a pair that I have watched walking to and from school every day for a long time. It was a neighborhood Dad and his son. They walked right by the money…but then, the little boy suddenly looked back and pointed excitedly. Dad picked up the dollar bill and they both walked away with huge grins on their faces.

Me…I was absolutely grinning like a fool, too! That was the most fun I’d had in a long time.


Occasionally, I would drop a handful of change in the school kids’ path…or a little toy…or some other kind of surprise. Once, it was a note, tied up with a pretty ribbon, with a simple message that whoever found this should know that they are special and wonderful.

I had to be careful to change the location of my ‘drop’ so nobody would figure out it was coming from my house.

Another way of giving has become my very favorite. Going to the grocery store provides me with numerous giving opportunities. It’s funny, but the things that used to irritate me about grocery shopping don’t bother me at all anymore….because I’ve got my mind set on finding people to ‘give’ to.


I don’t give them money….except for the change I always drop in the food bank box.

What my intention is, is to give lots of cheery smiles or have a friendly exchange with other people. And, I try to do this with people who are ‘different’ from me….
in age,
in appearance, (like somebody with lots of piercings or tattos that I sadly have a tendency to be disapproving of)
people who ‘look’ poor…
people who ‘look’ rich…
people of a different culture 
people of a different color.


I love doing this! It has provided me with so many fun conversations…and hopefully an opportunity to break down existing social barriers and my own preconceptions… if only by the thinnest strands.

It all counts, doesn’t it?

Sometimes, the ‘give’ is patience. You know, when the lines are especially long or someone has blocked the aisle with their cart. This particular give has been really good for me. Who doesn’t need to practice their ‘patience’ muscle?

Having an attitude of giving kinda goes hand-in-hand with an attitude of gratitude. Both of them are really good for whatever ails you.

So…..’give’ something today….and be GRATEFUL for anything you have to give, whether it’s a chunk of money….or a friendly smile.


My 'give'  for today is to share some favorite pictures with you.

Here’s that website again.



HAPPY GIVING!




4 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and for the reminder that giving brings joy not only to the reciever but to the giver. Wayne Dyer says it is a proven fact that this act of giving boost the immune system of both. Imagine a healthier world just by giving and recieving....even with a smile.

Sharon Kay said...

Oh, Donna! I hope everyone reads your comment. I had read this too and I wish I had included it in the blog. I think I've even read that if someone observes an act of kindness, they, too get the same great benefit.
It's a win, win, win situation! :)

Dawn said...

i am grinning from ear to ear picturing the little boy finding that dollar bill! i bet that created a veritable waterfall of smiles, as he told everyone he met about his find :-D

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn,
Can I say I'm so glad we met on the 29 day giving challenge board! So many great people there, don't you think?
I still smile when I recall that day, too.