Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A PLACE CALLED TEXAS CANYON



I saw it for the first time many years ago on my first visit to Arizona. It enthralled me with its’ magic…and I have remained head-over-heels in love with it ever since. Everyone I’ve ever taken to see it seems to feel the same.
I have climbed all over a big portion of these rocks over the years, usually with my brother. I just have a ‘thing’ for rocks…and this place delivers in a big way!

According to Wickipedia, it’s known as Texas Canyon because “a bunch of damned Texans” settled there. Descendants of that family still raise cattle on the ranch that is on this land.

Enuff talk! Let’s look at pictures!











This one will give you an idea of the scale of many of these boulders.




That's my brother.... and his son, scaling the wall.

See the lines running through the rock?

Those are veins of quartz.

Some of them are small like this one...


But some are as wide as 5 or 6 inches.


I love this next picture. My grandson took it when he was here.

He climbed higher than Grandma wants to go anymore. But believe you me, I've been to the very top of some of these rocks and ridges.





There are some very interesting rock formations in Texas Canyon.  Of course, there's whale rock. 

Let me get a little closer.



And just to the right, is the arch. My son and my nephew climbed up there one day and scared the crap outta me doing it!

One day, I my friend, Lori and I went to Texas Canyon.

And look what we found?  A lizard chasing another lizard!



I like odd rock formations so much, that I'm planning to do a whole blog entry about them pretty soon.

Rocks rock!
 
I have so many wonderful memories of Texas Canyon. Most of them include my brother.


 So, it is only fitting that the last time I visited Texas Canyon was when his memorial service was held there.  It was a beautiful summer evening, just before sunset.. His ashes are now a permanent part of this special place, which makes it even more special to me now.


I am so GRATEFUL for this place called TEXAS CANYON.

10 comments:

Donna said...

This kind of beauty always amazes me. These are some very good pictures. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of days gone by. Wonder if I can still climb??????

Sharon Kay said...

I know I can't do what I used to do. Last time I climbed up onto a huge boulder, it 'bout killed me! LOL

Donna said...

That one picture of the rocks with the orange flowers in front woud make a gorgeous painting don't you think?????????

Sharon Kay said...

It sure would, Donna. Why don't you paint it? ;)

Dawn said...

"it's known as Texas Canyon because a bunch of damned Texans settled there." LOL :-D that cracks me up. apparently Texans have been disliked for a long long time.

i love the lizard rocks! another place to add to my already long list of places to see...

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn, I actually have a picture of a rock that looks just like the behind of an elephant with diahrrea....also in Texas Canyon. Considering how 'high class' all my readers are, I opted NOT to include it! LOL

Donna said...

hmmmmmmmmm........the behind of an elephant with diahrrea??????? What gets me more than trying to picture that is the person who actually pictures that.

Donna said...

And Dawn....I live in Texas and I don't like em either!!!!!!!

Free2bfree said...

Be careful what y'all say about Texans! LOL I was born in Texas ... also, my older sister ... and my Daddy was, too. I didn't live there long before we moved to New Mexico ... but I at least claim the right to use the words f'er, t'uh, and y'all!!! But, I guess that technically, I'm a Texan. Yee-haw!!!

By the way, I love rocks, too. And, we have some pretty cool rocks in the state just to the north of you! ~wink~ But, there's nothin' like sandstone to take the skin right offa your knees in one fell-swoop! Mem'ries ....

Sharon Kay said...

Karen, I'm a little Texan myself and a lot New Mexican. We have much in common.
Some day, I might tell of our visit up to that beautiful state just north of Arizona...that would be Utah for those of you who are not familiar with the location of western states...
The truth is that the whole four corners area is mighty magnificent and super special!