Thursday, December 31, 2009

REFLECTIONS


What a year this has been!




In April, hubby was laid off and our life completely changed. Almost our entire marriage, he’s been a cross-country trucker and was gone most of the time. Since April, we’ve actually lived together…and haven’t killed each other….yet! With the additional cooking, I’ve gained more than a stay-at-home husband, unfortunately. An increase in exercise and a decrease in calorie intake is definitely in my future.

On the positive side, because he was home, I finally got my permanent chimenea stand built. And we created another fun memory together.


Finances have been more than a little strained at times, but not once have we done without anything we needed…or much that we wanted. Somehow, we’ve been provided for-often at the very last minute and in some very unexpected ways.

In June, my brother died, after many years of battling diabetes. His memorial service was the sweetest send off anyone could have. I want one just like it!


In many ways, we had lost my brother long before he died. His death, somehow, brought him back to us. His true Spirit remains and now I feel close to him again.

Also, in June, our grandson, Michael, came to visit. We took him on a whirlwind trip to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and other Arizona places of interest.

That trip was one of the highlights of my entire life. We haven’t had many opportunities to be together as he was growing up, and this time helped fill up a big empty place in my heart.

I got involved in facebook and through it, renewed relationships with two of my most special cousins.
What a joy!
And also, through the wonders of the internet, I’ve created and maintained friendship with a bunch of women who constantly lift me up, make me laugh, and help me grow as a human spirit.


Those relationships inspired my painting, SISTER/FRIENDS, which will probably remain as one of my most favorite paintings I’ve ever done. It is fitting, that Joan (yes, the Joan who often comments here) purchased that painting. She is the angel who began the internet group of women with whom I’ve shared a deeply personal and special relationship for over 10 years.

In October, I began SKaySpeak. What a trip that has been! I am so grateful for it that words cannot express how I feel. All my art supplies were running low…or were completely gone…and I was feeling a little confused about just what I was supposed to do with my ‘art.’ SKaySpeak gave me another creative outlet and the only necessary expense is batteries for my beloved digital camera. The truth is, that I write..and photograph for…SKaySpeak to satisfy an inner craving. Lo and behold, other people are reading it and apparently enjoying it!

How blessed am I?

Very blessed indeed!

Last, but not least, Miss Daisy found her way into our lives.


She is a little terror…as only a kitten can be. Nothing is safe. Nothing is sacred. Ask Codi. She will tell you. But even Codi is being won over by that little ball of calico fluff. On Christmas Eve, we had our own little miracle of the animals. They actually played together. More than that, Codi was the instigator of their tumbling matches!


Peace reigns.



Peace and Gratitude.

This past year has taught me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when I choose Peace, that’s what I get. And when I am Grateful, more blessings fall upon me.

These blessings, I wish upon you, for the coming year.

May you choose Peace for your life.

And Be Grateful in all things!






13 comments:

Cindy said...

Lovely post, and once again such beautiful images!!

Like you I'm seeing a shift in energy and creativity, and while it is a little disconcerting (Hey! I like what I was doing!) I am also grateful to have the opportunity to tramp on new ground.

One day maybe we can all create a kind of art-supply-sharing space, where the things I'm not using can be given to those that are using them.....

Think on it :)

And have a blessed New Year!

Cindy

Sharon Kay said...

Cindy, That is a great idea! I must tell you, though, that because of Santa's generosity, I got to go buy some new art supplies and will order even more, on-line. Yippee!!! So, I've got painting on my brain again. I feel like saying, "Welcome back, my good old friend!"
I can hardly wait to get paint all over my hands. :)

Dawn said...

i'm actually kind of glad that you ran out of supplies and branched out into blogging. (selfish i suppose) i so enjoy SKaySpeak and feel like i am sharing in your life in a small way. may 2010 be good to you! Hugs, Dawn

Joan said...

loved reading this Sharon, reminds me of many things, reminds me of how blessed we have been, blessed in both the giving and receiving so many times over and over...and I am so glad you kept little Miss Daisy

(as if there was ever question you would

...even from the beginning aware of her being there special for you...good thing you had lots of practice in gratitude

...so many times what is our blessing is definitely something we would not be out willingly seeking)

Joan said...

My year has been a strange one. It has been one of being ripped out of relationships over and over...made endings quick and efficient

It has been a year of consciously choosing attitudes...and being aware it is much harder when it is painful

and much more possible because it has been a long ongoing series of a lifetime of choices...

like your wonderful blog with the wolf story - our choices feed them...I choose for the grateful, kind wolf to win.

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn, the truth is, that I am glad, too. This blog is enriching my life in so many wonderful ways. The best of which, is to hear comments like yours. Thank you!

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, I'm so glad to see your comments here, once again. You add much to the content..as do all of you who share here. We are a community...a very small one, but the connection is very big and strong! Like a good wolf. :)

Joan said...

This year has contained much time with my family for which I am grateful. It has not all been easy times, some have been very painful, but I am grateful for all of them - each has had its choices and blessings to offer. It has been a year of trials of both mind and body.

It has been a year of being perched on the edge of something coming.

Some things have arrived - daughter's store (Nectar Floral Studio is one of my favorite places to be) ... two daughter's have had their gardening skills given a place to blossom ... grandson has gotten big enough to have been a big part of the gardens here.

Some things seem to be still pending, at least the things that intimately come from me.

This year, I end it with the sense that my life can last for a moment or can contain much more...either way I trust the one who plans my way

Joan said...

Wow, I never know when my life will transform. I have been draggy and achy and not wanting to move more than I had to...but today with the arrival of snow and a little more recovery from whatever bug my family have been passing one to another, my grandson and I had a great day.

It happened in increments, first just get dressed and shovel and attempt to feed neighbors fish (hope they are up to fasting cause the access door was locked so couldn't get to where I could use the key)

Then we tried to get out the sled...had filled with rain water and turned to frozen sled liner...was that sled ever heavy!

No go, even with path partly shoveled was not going to be a sliding or packing snow...tried the round disk sled...no go there too...so inside for Oveltine and Swiss Miss Cocoa and lunch.

Then grandson got rested and warm and headed out again with the shovel...and his happy five year old self happily shoveled paths in and around the gardens as well...and sculpted a little...the day became warmer and in the process the snow transformed.

I watched from the porch, clad only in my comfy stripped warm socks...ready to go inside, when it again hit me

...I was again fighting "old"

...this has been happening for about the last seven years now

...I who once bribed a child with helping to haul the sled up the long hill in exchange for a sled ride back down

- have since reached a point where I have been ever so much lured to simply avoid it all or to settle for memories or to leave it to others.

...realizing I was once again at a choosing point, I headed for my shoes and dressed for outside.

I am so glad I did!

The snow and experience was perfect.

One perfect sled ride and even a perfect Winter snowball fight (now that is one thing I NEVER thought would be something the "I" would be writing...did I ever tell you I had to be hit with snowballs?

Actually I hate to be hit with anything!

Well, it started thanks to my grandson Tristan (5 years old and a fan of snowball fights and play violence of any kind - he along with Grandson Balin age 4 love all that stuff, I have finally relented most of the time and simply accepted it is part of being a boy stuff.

Tristan invited me to throw a snowball at him, assuring me "he" doesn't mind...so I did.

The snow was perfect, light and fluffy but packed and stayed together well...he is amazing at avoiding a flying item but I did get him a time or two...and the snow was so light I let him hit me some too.

It turns out it isn't snowball fights I hate... it is simply the pain I don't like going through...and today was the best of both - snowballs that were fun and light and painfree too.

It came with revelations too...snow is like days, when we go through some with pain we soon feel like that is all there will be...

Today proved that is wrong, sometimes things are painful, but it doesn't mean that the next time will be too.

Joan said...

ah, I just reread above and decided to comment before some other smart alec did~

there must have emerged just a glimmer of witt as I suddenly pictured this "old crazy lady" in cold weather dressed only in stripped socks...

which in all honesty could one day be me...but unlikely, have I told you I hate to have bare feet cold and hurting? Or, for that matter, hot and hurting, so there is usually something on my feet and the rest of me, protecting me...

My feet would be likely to notice even if the rest of me didn't mind naked

...except when the weather and seclusion is perfect then and only then is the inclination likely to actually hit me...but that would be a whole other story!
So,

before someone suspects I have totally lost what little was left of my mind...(perhaps for a moment I have...ah the bliss of no laundry?)

and since some here are just quick minded,

and some have forgotten the cold attached to snow

despite the Polar Bear club that puts Winter sanity into the always do something strange with others category...+


...being clad only in socks (at least here) means being dressed in many layers just to stay warm but having shoes or boots missing from outfit -

...cause baby it is even cold inside!

Today was finally up to socks on the carpeted porch weather.

got to go give grandson a brownie...but have to disturb sleeping cats first...OK, cat too sweet and comfy, will divulge to grandson site of secret stash instead.

Free2bfree said...

Love it, Sharon! Your being grateful spills over the rim of the cup and adds to mine! Yes, in 2009 it felt as if we were all perched on the edge of something up and coming. I've a feeling that 2010 is what we've been waiting for!!

Free2bfree said...

P.S. Glad Miss Daisy found her way to you! Nothing like a new little furball to get the heart a-pumpin' a wee bit faster. I know my Lily gives me so many reasons to laugh and smile!

Sharon Kay said...

Joan..so glad you clarified that for us. I had some real 'odd' images of you playing in the snow..buck nekkid...except for some striped socks! LOL

Karen...I agree. Twenty Ten sounds like a real good number to me!