Thursday, December 3, 2009

DE GRAZIA'S CHAPEL



I have painted this exquisite little chapel an untold number of times. And no doubt, will paint it many more times in the future. It has seized my imagination and just won’t let go. It whispers to me. It sings to me. It entices and inspires me. It draws me in and holds tight.



It is such a mixture of rough and rugged and tender and touching.

See for yourself.







Let's go inside.

The doors are made from saguaro ribs.

The ceiling is open to the sky.

The floor is rugged, uneven stone.

But there's softness and sweetness all around.
The chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe....

That bright spot is caused by the  light pouring through the opening in the roof.

Many, many petitions and offerings are made here.

Some are so touching...Many are heartbreaking.



The Lady is attended by angels serenading her.


And numerous other people, animals and flowers painted on the walls.



And these happy children!


The chapel has a bell like the one at De Grazia's grave.



Oh, how I wish you could hear it ring!

One June 14th, many years ago, I was fortunate to be present during a Mariachi mass, held in this little chapel to celebrate De Grazia's birthday.




I am so GRATEFUL for that experience...and for every blessed moment I've been fortunate to be in this very special place.

1 comment:

Free2bfree said...

I enjoyed seeing the photos the other day when you posted it ... but my iTouch can be kinda touchy and not post my comments if I get too long-winded. So, this morning I'm on the laptop and keeping it short this time. ~he-he~

I can see why you enjoy this little sanctuary in the desert. It exudes the feeling of peace and quiet. I imagine it's a great place to go to gather your thoughts without the chatter from the outside world.

The construction of the buildings and the artwork on the walls, were they all a community effort? I was thinking you'd said that many of the local tribes had helped in the place becoming what it is today.