Monday, December 7, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME AND A GIFT FOR YOU.


Today…the day I am writing this… is my birthday.

I am, as of approximately 8:45 tonight, 65 years old!

I always thought 65 was old.

I was wrong!

Sixty-five is wonderful, is what it is!

Yes, there are things I can’t do today that I could do when I was 20 or 30…or even 55.

Some of those limitations are my own fault. One good example is that when I broke my wrist so badly last year, I didn’t do what I could have to regain the strength I lost during my recuperation. Or the year before that, when I had pneumonia.

That old adage, ‘Use it or lose it’ is absolutely true!

There was a time, not too long ago, when if I decided I wanted to give my kitchen a good cleaning, the whole job got done in one day. I don’t think that’s gonna happen anymore! All the bending and stretching and climbing is a whole lot harder on me now than it used to be.

Yesterday, when I had decided that I’d done enough of cleaning for the day, I told my husband that I’d finish the job ‘tomorrow.’ He said, “You can’t do that. Tomorrow is your birthday!”

I said, rather like a 5 year old, “I will if I want to!”


And, I will.

If I want to.


You see, I had one of those AHA moments when I turned 50.

It occurred to me that, like it or not, I was living the second half of my life…and there wouldn’t be another half after that! And that if I was ever going to do ‘what I want to’, it had to be NOW! I couldn’t put it off any longer.

It took a little time for me to break the lifetime habits of doing what I ‘ought’ to most of the time.

But remembering a story my mother had told me was a big help.

It seems that back when I was a toddler, my mom had an idea for a dress she wanted to make for me and she was all excited about it. My mother was a skillful and creative seamstress and she was definitely in ‘creative mode.’

So, one morning, as soon as she got Dad off to work, she got her sewing machine set up in the living room and followed her creative muse…with joy in her heart! She left the breakfast dishes and the bed-making till ‘later.’

But before ‘later’ came, there was a knock on the door.

It was my mother’s older sister, come for a surprise visit, from hundreds of miles away.

My mother never really got over her shame at being caught with her housework not done BEFORE she ‘played.’

She never said so, but my guess is that after she finished that dress for me, she never saw it without being reminded of her ‘shame.’

That breaks my heart!

She did tell me that she never again ‘played’ before having her house company ready.

That breaks my heart some more.


In his book A NEW EARTH, Eckhar Tolle teaches that there are only three healthy ways to do anything.
 
One is with acceptance. 
We all know that cleaning the toilet is not necessarily something we ordinarily would be either joyful or enthusiastic about.  But, we 'accept' that it is a necessary part of a healthy environment...and so we do it for that reason.

One is with pure joy.
I watch the birds in my back yard because it gives me enormous joy and pleasure to do so.  We all have such pass times that we enjoy and do for that reason alone.

One is with enthusiasm.
The word 'enthusiam' literally means 'in God.'  It is a wave of creative energy flowing through you.  I often feel this when I am painting. But it can come in many other ways...not just the typically 'creative' outlets.

He, Tolle, says that if you are not doing something for at least one of those reasons, you should simply stop doing it because doing it will lead to unhappiness...in some form.

That teaching reinforced my belief about doing what I 'want' to do as much as possible. I try to follow that sage advice.

This morning, when I woke up, there was a painting in my head. I have no idea how this painting is going to turn out, but I do know this. It will be one of my very favorite paintings I’ve ever done.

Because, what I saw in my head was me…looking up and out toward a beautiful space of light and love and infinite possibilities! And that is exactly how I feel on this, my 65th birthday. And, I’m blessed and GRATEFUL to say, that’s the way I feel every morning. Life has never been as exciting to me as it is right now.

As I write this, I keep thinking of some really special young women in my life….and maybe a couple who aren’t so young, but just as special.

I want to tell you this.

I know that we are indoctrinated, especially us women, to think that doing anything for ourselves is selfish. It is NOT! It is self-loving, self-nurturing and self-fulfilling...all of which is necessary to be a healthy human being who has the capacity to give to others in a good and healthy manner!

I know, too, that when you have children and grandchildren…. dogs and cats…. a husband and a job and each days’ ‘to-do’ list seems never-ending, it’s really hard to just ‘do what you want to do.’

But, I implore you to make time, religiously, to do just that. Even if only for a few minutes….and if not every day, then, at least a couple of times a week.


Here’s why.

Whether you realize it or not, the day will come when your bum knee or your arthritic hands or your waning stamina won’t allow you to do those things anymore. Don’t waste the opportunities you have now to do them!

Maybe more importantly, continually doing things for the wrong reason surely does create something in your life. But it’s not a good something. It creates resentment and that will absolutely rob you of your joy and maybe turn you into a crabby old woman.

My friend, Sheila Kingsley, wrote this wonderful poem and graciously allowed me to share it here.


LUNAR LAUGHTER



The moon pulls on salty seas,


Teases salty blood


And laughs mockingly on high


At Mankind who, though made of mud,


Was born to fly.





Yes…we were born to fly! So don’t, for the love of all that is Holy, let your wings wither and die.

By the way, this is good advice for you guys, too.

I hope you take it.

I am more GRATEFUL today, than I was yesterday. I expect to be more GRATEFUL tomorrow, than I am today. I expect my GRATITUDE to grow, until the moment I simply fly away…...



.....straight into that beautiful, glorious, love and light…

.....and even more wonderful possibilities!

21 comments:

Cindy said...

Well, Happy Birthday! What a wonderful post!

I turned 50 last year, and one of the things I asked for in my prayers and meditation is to be shown the way to women who were ahead of me on the path, to shed light on my journey and to help me navigate this - the second half of my life.

Thank you for showing up as one of the gifts from God and a light along the way!!

Have a delightful day!

Cindy

Sharon Kay said...

Hi Cindy,
I noticed my new 'follower' and I was so hoping you would leave a comment so I could give you a big welcome...and my thanks!
Your wonderful comment has pretty much fixed this day as 'delightful'...already! :)
I hope you have the same.
Skay

Donna said...

Love the poem and the reminder to do and enjoy while we can. Embrace it ALL....it is ALL worth it.

Sharon Kay said...

I forgot to ask you, Cindy. How did you find me? Also, I guarantee you will meet some other wonderful women who sometimes leave comments on SKaySpeak.

Sharon Kay said...

Good Morning, Donna.
I loved the poem, too. Let's FLY!!!

Donna said...

Sounds good to me.....let me oil my wings...a bit squeeky these days but in my mind and my heart, they are those of a 2 year old about to show the world who she is.

Sharon Kay said...

Way to go!!! Love that!

Joan said...

thanks to you I am here knitting with a vague idea of what it will become - a felted container to put something in - change, my phone, my driver's license - mostly needed because I desire to create a felted something - the first attempt was a rough prototype that I unraveled

the yarn has been sitting on my mantle till there was enough nudge to get it into my hands again...

Anonymous said...

Skay, you truly inspire me and you are so amazing. Such a blessing to be able to read your blog and instantly feel better and look at the world in a new way and be grateful for life and it's joys.

Free2bfree said...

Dear Skay --

As I finish reading your blog post I have a lump in my throat, tears are welling up in my eyes, and my heart is shouting, "Yes, yes, yes!" Where were you with your sage words of advice when I needed you 30 years ago? Of course, I realize it was a different day and time with a whole different set of rules we all felt we had to follow.

When I recently started the second half of my life, I also realized that so much of the worry and angst of my younger days only caused me to run myself ragged and lose sleep over all of the shouldas and oughtas swirling in my head. No more!

Today is the day that really counts. If I take care of what matters today, tomorrow will take care of itself. The biggest aha moment for me has become my motto in recent days: "Enjoy what IS while it still IS!" So much easier than feeling regret about the past and fretting over things that might not matter in the future. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow comes with no guarantees.

Thank you for putting voice to what so many of us had to take the first half of our lives to realize. Thank you for now providing the inspiration for those of us who are discovering our wings and are ready to learn to fly! May we all pass on such important tidbits of wisdom to our sons and daughters that they might not have to wait so long to spread their wings and fly higher than they can even imagine.

May we give ourselves and others the permission and the freedom to choose to live joyously now. Time to throw off the shackles of forever looking to a future day and time before we allow ourselves to be happy!

Lotsa Love ~*~ Karen

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, I hope you are doing that with joy and enthusiasm both. And I am thinking you are. Have fun!

Sharon Kay said...

Anonymous, What you've said blesses me so much.
Thankk you.

Sharon Kay said...

Karen...I have to laugh. I want to know where this wisdom was 30 yrs ago when I needed it, too! I have compassion for that young woman I was and I have the same compassion toward so many women I know who still live with those shouldas and oughta's swirling around in their heads. Bless them and give them FREEDOM! ;)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKAY! Thank you for sharing so beautifully the wisdom you have gathered from those you love and from the universe all around you. Wishing you all that your heart desires with acceptance, joy and enthusiasm from moment to moment. Much gratitude and God's blessings to you. Love Donna C. ("o" board) xoxox
Love your painting and hope to see more!

Sharon Kay said...

Hi there, Donna! So glad to see you here. Thanks for such a wonderful birthday wish.
You can always see my paintings at:

www.skayart.com

I hope you come back often.
Sharon/Skay

Shelly Streck said...

Sharon, I will soon be spending the second half of my life too. As soon as I get some ink for my printer, I am going to print this blog so that I can be reminded how important it is to actually be self-loving. The story of your mother never again playing before having her house "company ready" touched my heart too. This is truly an inspiring read, and I shall give it my all to never let my wings wither and die. You are a blessing.
By the way, that is a beautiful picture of my Aunt Faye holding her precious baby girl.

Sharon Kay said...

Shelly, I am thrilled to hear you say this! Make sure your sister reads this too, ok? ;)

Love you, sweet cousin of mine!

Debbie Brown said...

Dear Sharon,
Sweet Karen sent me an email that led me here to read your birth day heart song of flying gratefully. Thank you for the gifts you share in your writings, paintings and joy of life! Your enthusiasm~~absolutely a "God like state of BEing"~~is contagious and although I have not read any of the reply's yet, I know that everyone who came here to read your entry is infected. ~giggle~ I know I am!

Lovely reminders of what is truly important in our lives. It is interesting to me that I did not read this yesterday when it came in my email, but rather today after I finished decorating the backporch for Christmas Eve when our 9 Grandchildren arrive & 2 extra children. I felt like a kid again getting it ready for crafts, play doh and Christmas Eve dinner. It brought me much joy as I anticipated seeing their faces when they get here on Christmas Eve.

Flying along with you all and grateful for the lift to soar even higher in gratitude & grace for years to come!

Even more grateful that I gave up the "spotless clean house" thingy years ago! :)

Happy Birthday Sharon!!!
Love & Hugs,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Oh Debbie! I am overjoyed to see you here! I'm sbsolutely overjoyed that you are 'infected.' :) Please come back again. And have a wonderful day.

Shelly said...

I like how Debbie said she gave up the "spotless clean house" thingy! So have I, and it is such a liberating feeling. There are certainly more important things in life to do.

Sharon Kay said...

Shelly, there is wealth of wise women commenting on this blog. I am blessed by you all.