Saturday, December 5, 2009

WISH YOU WERE HERE


There are two things which most people wouldn’t consider a necessity, but I do. One is, as you might guess, my beloved Kodak Easy Share, point and shoot digital camera.


The other is this.



This is a chimenea. It’s made of clay. It’s a ‘thing’ in which to have a fire. Lots of people have them out this-a-way. And I believe their popularity has spread to other parts of the country. For good reason.

Tell me, what meets our primal instincts better than fire? It means warmth and safety and a way to cook up some vittles. That’s not a bad start. But to me, it also means total relaxation. It means memories of many friends and family who have sat with me in this very spot…sometimes till way up in the wee hours. The talks. The silence. Both were precious.


This poor chimenea had a run-in with a visiting 2 year old. When nobody was looking, he filled it with water from the garden hose. I, unthinkingly, did not remove the sand from its’ bottom…the result is the disintegration you see clearly. Sand in your bottom is NEVER a good thing.


Also, it’s cracked. And it has age spots. Like me. It still works, though, also like me. And probably will for another 10 years or so. I hope I do, too.

It provides warmth and relaxation….and is an inspiration for silent meditation or long, meaningful talks. And it gives off my most favorite perfume in the whole world.....cedar or juniper wood smoke!

It’s been know to roast a marshmallow or two…more like a hundred.

Last year, hubby and I built this permanent‘stand’ for the chimenea. It had been loose-stacked for several years and I was tired of it getting all ‘whomper-jawed.’ That was my mom’s term for anything that was out of whack. Feel free to borrow it, if you like.

So, I decided to make a permanent place for my beloved chimenea. It was necessary to have it raised up enough so that I wouldn’t get a crick in my neck from staring into the fire.


It HAD to have a ‘hearth’ to prop my feet on. And shelves for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. It didn’t have to be level. And, it isn’t.

It is built mostly from a neighbor’s discarded stones from a huge barbeque pit. Once again, my gift for scrounging paid off!


We had a little help from Codi, our cat.



This might be my very favorite picture of myself, taken while we were working on this project. 
I know......you've seen it before....and you just might see it again!



Yep! That’s me, in all my messy glory! Concrete and mud all over my torn up, worn out, memory- remembering cut off shorts and my Mickey Mouse shirt.

I’ve worn those shorts on lots of ‘special’ days…including that ‘memorable’ Thanksgiving I recently wrote about. Can you say underdressed?

One night recently, I built a fire in that chimenea. And as I sat by it, I watched the fire.  And I watched the sky. Father Sky was pretty much a tease that night. I kept thinking that he would put on a real show. It didn’t happen. But, still……….
This……….


and this………..





plus this………….



and this....


To say nothing of this.



Well, it doesn’t get any better. And I wish you were here, my good friends, my sons, my grandkids, my cousins, my aunts and my uncles, my neice and my nephew….and just everybody that I love and am Grateful to have in my life.




I truly believe that if everybody would just sit in front of a glowing fire a little more often, the world would be a better place.

I am so very, very GRATEFUL for my chimenea!

6 comments:

Joan said...

Sharon, I didn't picture so much green grass look...mmm so lush.

I finally learned to like grass once I had enough places for my flowers...until then it was something to be replaced at large cost of my energy...now I am learning the appeal of expanses of green space - every now and then I even look at my front flower beds and think of reverting them back to easy to care for grass...

(that is not likely to happen, the minute I empty a garden space something else delights me and I move it right in)

Joan said...

Thanks to you I am now sitting on the couch, be grateful cup filled with French Press coffee within hand reach...

...looking at candlelight filled chimenea - both candle and chimenea have been nearby but were not filled with light and enjoyment till you got me desiring today.

Orange flickers of light fill its terracotta interior - since here it is grey sky and something drizzly (oh my could it be snow already?)I am grateful mine is small enough and fuel type I can enjoy inside....

Between us we have it covered inside and outside today.

Joan said...

It is now beyond shadow of doubt - flakes large enough to see through my window and white accumulating on the ground - good day for candle light and coffee nice and cozy.

(Although soon may have to switch to hot chocolate and sledding gear).

Grateful for the lift you gave to my senses and self today.

Love you my sister/friend

Joan said...

I just returned to the couch after getting a lovely pot of potato soup simmering in my electric fry pan (my absolute favorite way to cook) and realized that delightful glow in the chimenea had gone dark...

I didn't realize just how much I needed it here - I am off to hunt for another candle.

Joan said...

ahhh tummy nicely filled with potato soup and more in the fridge for later...and candle that was unused clutter till today burns brightly in the chimenea

this little invention really helps since there are cats here! - gave up on candles for a while since cats had twice lit their tails on fire

after long lapses of time I tend to forget why I don't light candles here

- fortunately these cats had self extinguishing fur those two times instead of setting themselves and my house ablaze

candle is nicely topped and surrounded by the chimenea and the opening is small enough it doesn't so far entice them inside...

oh oh just spotted Rascall Sweetheart eyeing the too small landing space next to the chimenea...

fortunately he changed his mind when he heard me abruptly exclaim and came he to cuddle on the couch instead as if he never had anything else in mind


...guess even the chimenea needs to be enjoyed when they are outside

...or deeply in midst of a cat slumber

Sharon Kay said...

Joan...the grass isn't quite so green now. That photo was taken when we were building the chimenea stand last summer.
I'm so glad you enjoyed today's post...I kinda thought you might. I remember having a fire at your house and sipping a delicious chocolate liqueur in front of it!
Potato soup sounds perfect. I will have to make some myself. Thanks,friend!