Friday, December 4, 2009

DE GRAZIA'S-FINAL CHAPTER


There are several buildings in the Gallery In the Sun compound.  In addition to the Gallery and the chapel are the little house where the De Grazia's lived for a time and also several casitas and a workshop.

Today, we'll take a tour of their tiny home.  And be GRATEFUL that we can visit it, for we surely do NOT want to live there!  Well, I don't...as charming as it is, it doesn't really look very 'livable'.


Like every other building on the place, this one is made from adobe.  However, it is bare adobe...without the outer coating you see on the other buildings.  Ever since I first saw this old bedsprings, hung with horseshoes, I've wanted one for my back yard.  I haven't found one yet.

The living room is aproximately 14' wide by 20' long...that's just an estimate.  In one corner is this awesome fireplace with a built-in adobe banquette for seating.



I took this next picture from one of the tiny bedrooms.  Note the really rough textured walls of the doorway. 



You can tell how much De Grazia loved 'texture.'  It's puposely added absolutely everywhere in each of the buildings on the grounds.



The kitchen, while small, is still about twice as large as mine is! 


And it has the most beautiful tile work!


Check out this cook stove and BE GRATEFUL for yours!



And here's the one cupboard.


I would think that the entire house could be 'swept and mopped' with a garden  hose.  The water would just run right out the doors!

There's a pass-through to a small dining area

You can see this door 'jamb', in the previous picture, which leads from the dining area to a small garden.

De Grazia's wife, Marion, was also an artist.  She worked mostly in clay, I believe.  She made this little Madonna which is in a niche of their small patio.




There's a couple of miniscule bedrooms.


One of the bedrooms has this wall decoration, impressed right into the concrete.  Can you tell how it was made?



The bathroom is closed off.  I suspect that it is not much bigger than a very small closet.

It's a great subject for photographs...but I suspect it was/is also a great place for critters of all types...many of which you most assuredly would NOT want in your house!  And as you can easily see, the doorways just pretty much say, "Crawl right in!"



This is the LITTLE GALLERY.


A couple of times a year, artists are invited to show their work here.  Furthermore, the Gallery doesn't take any commission at all from any sales.  I find that very impressive.
The door is painted to have a look of art glass.  I love it!


And there are colored glass panels in the walls.  I love those, too.


That about does it for our tour of De Grazia's Gallery In the Sun.  I just have a few more miscellaneous shots to share.

First, of course, there are numerous Saguaro cactus on the grounds.  This one is especially grand!

That fence is probably about three and a half feet tall.  That  should give you an idea of the height of this Saguaro.



I hope you can see why De Grazia's Gallery In the Sun was given this distinction.

And I hope you enjoyed the tour.
And I hope you get to come here for real, someday.

Once again, I must speak my GRATITUDE for this particular blessing in my life!

10 comments:

Joan said...

mmmm absolutely no clutter and only takes a hose to clean...would make my day easier...but I would miss the lovely things I see around my own home...so a cleaning and a stuff fluffing I will be.

Joan said...

but first I am sitting here with Be Grateful coffee cup designed by Sharon and about to sip my French Brewed coffee before grandson arrives to spend time with me.

Joan said...

but first I am going to sip my treat of the day - fresh brewed French Press coffee in the Be Grateful cup you had made for me...I especially loved the serenity of the fireplace seating area picture - such a beautiful photography capture - and the madona and her nitch and the wall with the colored glass in it - the items themselves are beautiful but it is the exact moment and composition you caught that is the visual treasure for me - thanks for posting and thanks especially for selecting these

Dallas said...

Finially,it is hard to comment on all of the blogs I've missed but enjoyed thoroughly! I truly want to take Gail to see the De Garza(what do you call it) compound. We would never get her out. I would love to see it again. I enjoyed the blog with the moon and all the different birds. I am jealous. Mostly I love you and your writing talent. The car wash one was hilarious. Isn't this your birthday? I think so. Happy Happy Birthday!

Donna said...

Stupendous tile work and I love the fireplace. Thanks for this slambangus tour.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon Kay said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
How do I start replying to all this wonderfulness! LOL
I'll make it simple.
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

dawn said...

OMG Sharon, i love your tour and your blog! you have managed to get me homesick all over again for the desert...just when i almost had myself convinced the pineywoods wasn't all that bad LOL...i borrowed the pic of the gate with the aluminum flowers for my desktop. that wall impression is made with a clothes hanger, isn't it? i can't wait til we get out that way. Hugs, Dawn

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...then you have to look in the archives at the other ones all about Tucson and Tubac and our local mountains. There's lots here to make you really long to be back on this desert! Yes, plastic clothes hangers...

Barbara Kleinhans said...

I love your series on DeGrazia. And you know I have a soft spot for painters that use painting knives!

Sharon Kay said...

Barbara...you just need to plan a visit and see his work for yourself. Don't you think? ;)