Monday, January 11, 2010

THE GRAND CANYON



It is impossible to convey, either with words or with pictures, what you feel when you first see this place.  The much over-used 'awesome', truly fits.  It takes your breath. It makes you shake your head in disbelief.  There is no way to wrap your brain around the enormity and the majesty of this particular space on our planet.


Michael's look, when he got his first glimpse, says it all.




It is wide.




It is deep.




It is amazing!




A few facts.
The park contains over one million acres.
It is from 5000 to 6000 feet from the rim to the river.
Aproximately 5 million people visit each year.
The oldest rocks in the canyon date back 2000 million years.
The canyon inself, however, is ONLY 5 or 6 million years old.

For more information, visit,



It is hard not to offer to take pictures for other people so their entire family can be included. Michael became the photographer for several families at this look out point. Somehow, we failed to get the favor returned. We simply forgot to ask.

We had so much fun with this group from South Korea.


And I couldn't resist this face!




Unbelievably, you can, in many places get right to the edge of what would be a deadly fall.

And we saw more than a few people doing what I would consider really stupid behaviour!


Yep...that guy is standing about 2 feet from the edge.

But, the winner of stupid human of the year has to go to this mother. You can't see him in the photo, but she has her small child standing right in front of her on that rock. A strong wind could have blown him right off.

Of course, Michael had to scare us just a little, too. Although he assures me that he really was on a safe path.


It looks like he's walking off into nothing, doesn't it?

I swear he's enjoying scaring me!

I especially loved the many gnarly old trees.










We didn't see much wild life.  Just this ground squirrel


this raven


and several California Condors which have been successfully introduced into the canyon.



One of my favorite spots was this place.


It's called The Watchtower.  I love the building and the story behind it.











Here is where Michael just HAD to scare Grandma one more time by going way out there on that little bitty point...far, far away!


Here's the picture he took looking back toward us.

He said there are a few places on this trail that are extremely narrow with a pretty steep drop on either side.

It's so hard to decide which pictures to include and which ones to leave out.  I took, literally, hundreds, although between the heavily overcast skies and smoke in the atmosphere from a nearby controlled burn, my pictures didn't turn out really good.  Still...........I just have to show you a few more.......











I am so grateful to the Creator of The Grand Canyon and so grateful that we got to share this trip with our Michael!

8 comments:

lanietx said...

i haven't been to your blogspot in awhile, looks like i picked the perfect day to visit. awesome pics! especially the ones of that handsome guy! lol

Sharon Kay said...

Yes, you did. That 'handsome guy' just made the trip for us! Thanks for loaning him out for a couple of weeks. LOL

Anonymous said...

I agree, Awesome. But it takes an artist eye to truly capture their beauty

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks Anonymous, but I think the Grand Canyon turns everyone's eye into an 'artist eye.' I think it would impossible NOT to see such beauty from an artistic perspective. ;)

Michael said...

I found your blog through my friend Artandsoul. Your pictures are fantastic, and I'm envious. I was at the Grand Canyon on 12-30-09, and it was socked in by snow and fog. Couldn't see a thing. On the other hand, I found that I didn't really need to see it to understand the place. Awesome scale. I'm going back during the summer next time.

Sharon Kay said...

Welcome, Schumtzie!
One of the most amazing pictures I've ever seen of the canyon, it was full, to the rim, with billowing white clouds and fog. I'd love to see it on such a day as you saw it. But, I hope you get to come back on a warmer, sunnier day, too.
Thanks for the lovely compliment. Come back and visit often.

Michael said...

I'm already making my plans for the summer of 2011. Trying to decide between camping at Mather, or checking out the North Rim.

Your pics are absolutely spectacular, as are those of C de Chelly and Monument Valley.

Great blog you have here.

Schmutzie

Sharon Kay said...

Schmutzie, what a nice thing to say. I'm really glad you are enjoying it. And I'm delighted you are planning an Arizona visit!
I would love to visit the North rim but would hate to miss the South. What a dilemma! I look forward to hearing from you when you go. We'll want stories! :)