Saturday, January 2, 2010

ON NEW YEAR'S EVE


Today was such a beautiful day here in Tucson, that I just HAD to get out of the house and into Mama Nature’s lap!

I needed to sit on a rock.



I wanted to go hiking to find the perfect rock to sit on and I didn’t want to go alone. There are many good reasons for not going hiking alone…especially for a 65 year old woman with wonky knees.

But, it being New Year’s Eve, most people already had plans and hubby is just not all that into hiking. He has a wonky hip. And it’s already bothering him, so I really didn’t feel like pushing him into going with me.

I was beginning to feel a little of that ugly old resentment rising in me. NOT a good thing. So, I chose to feel peace, joy and love…and gratitude…and I just hopped in the car and took off!


Besides, I really needed some pictures of roads and with all the photos I already have, I just didn’t have exactly what I wanted for my New Year’s Day blog entry, LOOKING FORWARD.

I had a fine time. I went to Sonora National Park-East (We also have a ‘West’ one) where I knew there would be plenty of people around to help if I, for any reason, needed some.

I took a bunch of pictures. It is always amazing to me how much color there is on this ‘brown’ desert…and on December 31st, to boot-the very dead of winter.



The mighty saguaros astound me…and they make me laugh. They are, I’m convinced, God’s cartoon characters.








And I found me a rock.



 It wasn’t much of a rock, as rocks go, out here. But, it was the right rock and I knew it. I sat down. I listened to the blessed quiet of this big ol’ desert. I played with the little mica flecked rocks at my feet. I turned them this way and that way and watched the sun strike light into them It was as if I had a handful of diamonds.

I sat there and let the sun give me kisses and the breeze give me caresses and just let my soul get filled with my Mother’s milk.

As you know, I don’t do New Year’s resolutions.

But if I did, I might resolve to take myself, more often, to places where my blessed Mother can nurture me, as She desires to do.


I am so GRATEFUL for this beautiful world I live in. And I am especially GRATEFUL for this day I spent really BEING in it.



8 comments:

Joan said...

couldn't leave without a comment...just don't know what it is yet...

how I love that you included your rock and that you knew it was "the one" you were to sit on that day...

how I love that you included the cactus with the holes...I have treasured memory at San Xavier where I got to watch a bird fly in and out of one

...there are many great tourist attractions but my favorites are the spot in Switzerland where I finally insisted on sitting so I could finally feel that I was actually "there"...and the little pleasures of right place right time like the bird in the cactus or the lizards scampering an a Swiss rock wall, or chasing lizerds with my children in Arizona till they eventually came home with one

"his" name was Tumacacori after the Arizona mission and he was a dear little fellow. He traveled home in a cup covered with one of my nylon stockings (back when I actually wore them)

Question pertaining to clothes lines - survay - what are your favorite type of clothes pins ---+dear fellow clothsline dancers -- what so you -like best about them


got to go- very insistant cat reminding me I am her first priority and she is to be mine

Sharon Kay said...

Joan, I love lizards! Little ones, mind you...And I love San Xavier Mission and Tumacacori, too. Methinks a blog about San Xavier should be in my plans! The holes in the Saguaro cactus are made my our native woodpeckers for their nests. Sometimes doves use them after the woodpeckers have left.

I prefer 'pinch' clothespins myself....they just seem to hold on to the clothes better. ;)

Sharon Kay said...

Funny thing...I just walked out onto the patio after posting my last comment here and there was a woodpecker singing his woodpeckery song from our Palo Verde tree. Too cool!

gini said...

Okay then,,, I didn't see this post.. what I do with these fingers when i get on the computer baffles my mind..
I love the pictures.. I have never been out west .Just to NYC.. hee hee
Cactus remind me when I was very little watching western programs with my Father.. Wow..
They are really big!!and REAL..
I've held similiar rock in my hands too. thinking I wonder if this is gold.. hee hee
To strike out on your own to be with Mother Nature stirred something within me.. GOOD stuff.
OH.. I love pinch clothespins.. (smile)
love
gini

Sharon Kay said...

Gini...glad you managed to find your way here. ;)
Western New York is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen!
Most of those old John Wayne movies were filmed on the Navajo reservation,in Monument Valley, where there is nary a saguaro cactus. So if you see one, it's a fake! A few of his movies, however, were filmed right here at Tucson...notably, RIO BRAVO.

Dawn said...

i love the road picture, leading to the majestic mountains...reminds me how life is a journey and not a destination...

i don't really do resolutions anymore myself, but have decided that from here on out i will make the effort to see the unique beauty of anywhere i happen to be, rather than spend my time wishing it was something else. which is not to say that i am giving up my dreams and hopes, just that i feel like i have not been being quite "present" in my life.

and speaking of lizards, i found some batik fabric today with colorful lizards all over it! i'm not sure what i'll do with it yet, but just looking at it makes me smile :-D

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...this sounds like a good plan to me...be 'present' where you are. I send prayers that your lizards will help you do that. ;)

Donna said...

I am late reading this one, but....I agree about the cartoon cactus..........they ARE funny shapes huh? Wish I had been there with you gf.