Monday, January 4, 2010

SAVE YOUR PHOTOS!


I have, litereally, thousands of photographs on my computer.  Sometimes, when I'm thinking about ideas for a particular blog idea, I remember one of those photos and am happy to know it's there for me to use.

I have many pictures of places we've visited, and of course, friends and family.

I have pictures of my projects.

I have  pictures of my paintings.  But I don't have pictures of all my paintings, because of these reasons.

1.  I forgot to take a picture of it before it was sold. Dumb.
2.  I accidentally deleted my picture after the picture was sold. Dumber.
3.  My computer crashed and I lost everything on it. Dammit!

Uh-Oh...I just broke my bad language rule.  But, if you can't say a bad word when your computer crashes, just when CAN you say one?

There's not much I can do about the first two.

Now, I know there's lots of gidgets and gadgets available for saving important files from your computer and preventing such losses.  But I don't have them.  What I do have and should be much more diligent in using, is the on-line photo storage available through many places such as Kodak, Costco, Picasa, Snapfish, etc.

Even if your computer does crash, you could use any computer to access your photos and get them back. 

When our family lost almost everything in a fire, the thing that hurt the most was the loss of years' worth of precious photos.

Now I'm not going to get all crazy and start making New Year's resolutions...UGH!....but, I do think I'm going to make an effort to get all my pictures saved to one of those good on-line sources.

'Cause, manohman, I'd hate to lose this picture!

That's my mom and my brother after we'd climbed up a jumble of boulders along a creek in Southeastern Arizona.  What a fun day that was!  My mom was no spring chicken at the time but she wasn't gonna let anything stop her from getting to the top!

Then, there's this one of grandson, Michael, when he got his first glimpse of The Grand Canyon.



It's obvious that he didn't believe what his eyes were seeing.  The Grand Canyon will do that to you.

And what a shame it would be if this precious picture of my maternal grandparents was allowed to disintegrate!


Or this one, of me cleaning the summer kitchen on one of my visits to my Navajo 'family.'
Lordy!  I look big as a barn!



And last, but not least...what would I do if I couldn't look at this face anytime I want to!


I am so GRATEFUL for these photographic memories.
I think I'll work a little harder to get them all in a safe place.





5 comments:

Donna said...

This is so neat. My brother and wife gave me a special photo album for Christmas just for our photos together. They had already included a few and we took lots of pictures on our trip to Ruidoso this weekend which will go in it. Photos ARE special.

Joan said...

These are the coolest pictures. Absolute treasures.

You remind me of all the photos on my older computer...may be time to get backups successfully, didn't work the last time I tried to backup...find it sometimes is like the pickle jar, just needs another person and another try

Joan said...

At one point I was printing many pictures as I took them and I would have back up CD's made at the same time...have some pictures on my computer from before that time and many still on disk in the camera as my backups

hardest part is technology changes over time...really helps to have both hard copy and other locations for the special ones...now I will have to make motivation to gaze through mine again soon...

the kids with the turtle on our walk and several others come to mind as things well worth visiting

Dawn said...

i only have three pictures of my older two kids when they were little - the rest got melted together when rain leaked into the trunk of the car where i had them during one of our many moves. i can still see a lot of them in my mind's eye but i wish i could show them to the kids.

i love digital cameras but i have a tendency to be lazy about getting the pics printed...

Sharon Kay said...

Donna...what a neat gift! Good memories, there for you all.

Joan and Dawn...I want to reiterate to you both that nothing takes the place of on-line photo storage to keep them safe. Disks can fail and prints can get ruined. If either of you have questions about doing this...or anyone else...e-mail me and I'll see if I can answer some of them.