Saturday, January 9, 2010

SEDONA AND SLIDE ROCK STATE PARK



About the most exciting thing I’ve done lately is either going to the grocery store or to Costco.
Oh yeh, Baby!

Seriously, I’m pretty stoked about it because we are getting closer to our goal of NOT having to go to either place so many times during the month.

We did a huge shopping trip last Wednesday because our grocery chain gives seniors a 10% discount on the first Wednesday of every month. We got tons of sales items…and the additional discount…so we got a load of stuff and saved a bundle in the process! What’s not to like about that?

But, grocery shopping doesn’t usually make for good blogging. So, I’ve been scratching my brain a lot trying to come up with new ideas for SKaySpeak.

I know! I will take you...and me, too.... on a little photo trip into Northern Arizona.

Last summer, after graduating from high school, our grandson, Michael came for a visit. Our gift to him was this trip. He’s never been out of East Texas much, so these sights were pretty amazing to him.

I posted pictures from Jerome in one of my earlier blogs. That was the very first stop on our four day trip. After that, came Sedona and the Oak Creek Canyon area…including a really fun place called Slide Rock State Park.

You can find lots better photos of the Sedona area on-line, so I'm not going to go overboard posting pictures...just a few to give you an idea of what it feels like to be there on a warm, summer day.



These first shots are straight out of the camera...no color corrections...


However....I could have done this..........


or even this............


and they still would be accurate depictions of the colors in these rocks.  It just depends on what time of day, what time of the year, weather conditions, etc.....
The truth is that the last one is closer to the 'feel' of the place.


From Sedona, we headed down to a really fun and equally beautiful place called Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon.



As you can see, this is an extremely popular spot for playing in the water.  Trust me...that water was cold...even in the middle of June!






Michael did NOT find the water temperature to his liking,  but he had a swim anyway.



The setting is breathtaking!


The park is actually an old apple orchard and farm.
 

Can  you imagine being lucky enough to actually live here?



But now it's time to drive up the canyon toward Flagstaff


Yep...up that very steep, winding road...a long, long climb into the high country, where we'll spend the night.



The next morning, we woke up to a really cold day.  Not the best weather for being in the mountains.  I took this shot of an aspen meadow while zooming down the highway 'cause it was too blasted cold to get out of the car!  It makes the trees all look like they're leaning drunkenly.  But they're not.
Just look how green that grass is!

Did I say we're in the mountains?


Well we are....and here's proof!


That is Mt. Humphreys, (12,000+ ft. elevation) with some snow left on it, in the middle of June!

Have I not been telling you that Arizona is not just a desert?  It is a most magical place of great diversity and variety.

And I am most GRATEFUL to live here!

On Monday.....THE GRAND CANYON!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Debbie Brown said...

Sharon,
Ahhhh~~~you are SPEAKING my language here with these pictures of rocks and streams. I've always had a "thing" for that kind of beauty and the sounds of rivers and streams rushing over the rocks for centuries. Living waters smoothing and soothing those amazing energy filled rocks.

Ted and I love going to southern Kentucky and Tennessee for just that reason...to sit beside a mountain stream and hear it's song. I could stay right there forever....listening to God speak. A lovely reminder of things I love and have been blessed to experience over the years.

Hey~~and I am totally with you on the grocery thing and less trips as possible. Yesterday we went to the grocery store~a super Walmart~ and we were in the produce isle attempting to get some fixin's for salad, but there were about 10 birds feasting on the produce. Yep! Landing, eating and pooping everywhere. I thought those birds were pretty bold in the middle of the day in a busy store and wondered what in the heck do they do at night when nobody's looking? lol. One guy said he should have brought his bb gun with him. yikes! Another lady and me just stood there looking at each other laughing. Then we decided to go somewhere else to buy our fresh vegetables and fruit. lol. I love birds as well as the next nature lover...but, not in my salad. ~giggle~

As always...a pleasure to come here and hear you speak and share the beauty all around you!
Hugs,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie...another good reason why I won't shop at Walmart! Good grief!!!! What a story!

Glad you are enjoying my pictures and the memories of your own special places they bring. :)

Donna said...

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh