Monday, January 25, 2010

SNOW ON THE DESERT AND OTHER SURPRISES

Yes, we do get snow and we got a bunch, for us, this last week!  At least our mountains got snow and a lot of the higher areas around Tucson.  In the twenty or so years I've lived here, I've seen snow accumulate right here in town on only two occasions, to the best of my recollection.  One of those times, it was on Easter Sunday! 

Hopefully, with all this moisture, we will have an amazing wildflower display this coming spring. 

This afteroon hubby and I took a little drive so I could take some photos without all the utility poles and lines and all my neighbors' rooftops cluttering things up.  Unfortunately, a lot of the snow had already melted.

Here's what it looked like on Saturday morning from our back yard.




A palm tree in the foreground....looks kinda weird with a snowy background, doesn't it?



The snow level was pretty low as you can tell by this picture.





Sunset on snow....how gorgeous!




These are from our Sunday afternoon drive.








This is Mt. Lemmon.  They had 75 mph winds up there which knocked down a lot of big trees and left them with no power.  The folks at the ski resort are probably biting their nails over that!  We wanted to drive further up the mountain but the road was closed due to downed trees.


Brrrrr.



Brrrrr!!!!











This is Thimble Peak.



Here are more of Thimble Peak and other formations...no snow...but I couldn't resist.


It's amazing what a little change in perspective does, isn't it?  Yes, these  pictures were taken the same day as the other ones with the snow in them.  I promise!





I had heard the The Rillito was running so we went to have a look.  We were too late, but it was obvious that a lot of water had run through it yesterday.



We took a walk down in the riverbed.  I love the patterns the moving water made in the sand.







We found some very colorful rocks.


And this one which looks exactly like a piece of bread!



When I was taking pictures of the snow from my back yard on Saturday, I was lucky enough to catch these two Gila woodpeckers.


And while we were at the river, look what we found!  A baby woodpecker!  Well, he is obviously not a tiny baby, but he's a youngster, for sure.  He just wouldn't get into a better position for me but I was delighted to even get this shot!



Snow is wonderful.  Snow is beautiful.
I'm always delighted to look up into our mountains and see it there.

"THERE."

I must admit that I am infinitely grateful not to have to deal with it HERE.




17 comments:

Donna said...

Love the sunset on the snowy mountains.

Sharon Kay said...

Donna, so glad to see that you are able to post a comment. A couple of people have reported that they can't when they've always been able to do so before. Weird computer stuff!
Yes...sunset on snowy mountains...I love it, too.

Sharon Kay said...

Thanks, DarkUFO. You're very kind to try to help me out. :)

Dawn said...

snow is a lot nicer when you don't have to deal with it for months on end LOL. sort of a special treat. i was thankful when we got some last month here in Woodville. Beautiful photos of the peaks! one day i am going to live where i can see mountains from my house.

Lori said...

testing again ... :-)

Lori said...

Hurray! I'm BAAACK .... and I'll be polite. Don't know how I'm back, but I am

Sharon Kay said...

HALLELEUJAH! Lori is back!!!!
Hopefully the comment glitch has been fixed. LOL

Lori said...

Skay writes "HALLELEUJAH! Lori is back!!!!"

Hmmmm .... I think you should just be GRATEFUL that I was silenced over the weekend after you invited everyone to chastise me. :-)

Nevertheless, the photos of OUR mountains are beautiful and thank you for capturing it and sharing our slice of heaven with others.

As for Ms Daisy ... she's a kitten ... give her a break and allow her to grow up while teaching her the right way ...

And... CLEAN UP YOUR STUDIO. You created the mess ... with a huge smile I might add.

Sharon Kay said...

And she's back with a vengeance! LOL

Debbie Brown said...

Hi Sharon!
The pictures are gorgeous as always and my favorite is the one with the snowy mountains and the palm tree in the foreground. Shows that many wonderful happenings are going on around us at the same time in diverse ways. Embracing them all is such a gift!
Blessings all around,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Hi Debbie,
I really wanted to get a photo of a tree full of oranges with those snow covered mountains in the background. But, it just didn't happen. Diversity? You bet!

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...often, when I take a picture of this beautiful desert...I think of how you are going to enjoy looking at it.

I hope you get out of...well...where you are...and you KNOW how I feel about that part of the country...real soon and back into the southwest! Till you do, I'll just keep posting pictures to entice you. ;)

Susan Garvin said...

I never left you ...

Sharon Kay said...

Hi Susan...way up there in the frozen Northland otherwise known as Canada!!!! ;)

She (Lori) didn't leave on purpose....there was just some kind of computer gremlins at work, apparently.

Susan said...

Gremlins. I'm going to send you an email.

Louise Moran said...

Loving your photos & conversations. Yes, I'll have another cup of tea please

Sharon Kay said...

Louise, This probably looks like a paltry amount of snow to you, but it's a bonanza for us desert dwellers.
Tea is coming right up! ;)
I'm so glad you've joined us here as I know you are a faithful reader. Thanks for your 'good medicine.'