Thursday, January 14, 2010

LEFTOVERS-MORE TRIP PICTURES

Today's post is a collection of pictures that didn't make it onto my original posts about our trip.  I had to draw a line somewhere....even though it was really hard to do.

This is the picture on a sign at the Grand Canyon of one of the original trails down the canyon side. 
No thanks!


I saw this gnarly old tree trunk lying on the ground and just had to take its' picture.  It's either a smiling snowman or the Pillsbury Doughboy.  LOL



I love this one of Michael.



I have no idea what kind of tree this is, but it sure was pretty!



This is the excursion train which runs from Williams, Arizona to the Grand Canyon.



Bluebird Flour.



This is THE flour that is used to make Navajo Fry Bread and all their other tortilla type breads.
Isn't the bag beautiful?

One of my Navajo family made this apron for me...and a matching one for 'S'...from the flour bags.  Every single stitch is done by hand!  I treasure it!










Hopi House, at the rim of the Grand Canyon is a beautiful building.  Inside, you will find innumerable ways to spend a great deal of money!



The name, Hopi House, should give you a clue that not only the Navajo people have lived...and still do...in this area.  Within the boundaries of the Navajo reservation, is a small reservation of the Hopi people.



I found these 'faces' on a trail at Canyon de Chelly.



These are examples of really old hogans. The front door always faces East.



I'm including this one just because...just because I love it!




And this one to show how very green parts of this country can be.



And this one, at Slide Rock State Park, because I got lucky enough to get it.




And this one, to show how our Grand Canyon day started.  It was so cold and of course, we did NOT have the right clothing for such weather.



One evening, I saw this through the windshield.  Sunset is a magical time.



How can I tell  you what an impact these places made on me.  They are inside my soul, holding on tenaciously.  And for that, I am GRATEFUL.



4 comments:

Donna said...

Some more fantastic pictures. Why does the front door face east?

Sharon Kay said...

To face the rising sun, Donna. I think it is a way of honoring 'Father Sun.'

Dawn said...

what a cool apron! even through the computer i can feel the love in every stitch.

the early visitors to the Grand Canyon must have been really physically fit to use a trail like that!

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...no matter if you were in great physical shape, that trail just looks too scary to me! LOL