Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MONUMENT VALLEY CONTINUED AND CANYON DE CHELLY

This is going to be mostly pictures.  And, I must say, I am becoming very nostalgic looking at all of them.  This trip, with Michael, was one of the highlights of my entire life.  I have no words to say how very grateful I am for the opportunity we had to do this.  And there were a couple of people, who shall remain nameless...'cause they'd kick my bootie if I said anything....who had a hand in making the whole thing possible.  To you.....you know who you are......I owe enormous thanks and a lifetime of indebtedness!  Most especially, to Michael.  You made it all even better than it might have been.  I love you!  To my husband, our driver, you, too, made this possible.  I would never have undertaken this trip without you.  I love you, too.

OK...enough of that...let's get to the pictures........




I hope this picture with the car in it will help give you some perspective of the size of these formations.






We were glad to have the opportunity to do a little shopping for some family and friends.




As we were leaving this beautiful place...which by the way costs a whole $2.50 per car.....this person stopped us and asked this question.
"Is it worth it?"
Since he could already see the view in the above photo, we designated him for the stupid person of the year award...right then and there.  If you see your face here, Mr. whoever you are, I'm sorry...but only a little.  By the way, I told him I was taking his picture because I could NOT believe he was even asking that question.


If I were to make a recomendation regarding a visit to Monument Valley, I would suggest this.  Go in the early morning...... find something else to do...and then return again in the late evening so you can see how the shadows change the landscape.  Each trip through the valley requires a good three to four hours. 

They are building a beautiful hotel right at the entrance to Monument Valley.  If you can afford to stay there, that would be fabulous.  Be forewarned that any motel accomodations on the Navajo Reservation will cost you an arm.... and a leg, too.  Actually, our two room 'suite' at the Holiday Inn in Kayenta cost us about $150....which I don't think was too bad at all.  If you choose to stay in Kayenta, you can take your meals at the Blue Coffe Pot restaurant for a very reasonable amount of money.  Try one of these, if you think you can handle it!  It's a Navajo taco.....and it's absolutely fantastic! 




We have to leave Monument Valley even thought we don't want to go.  But Canyon De Chelly is calling.

On our way there, we experience a bit of a desert sand storm.




It actually got pretty bad......



Don't ask me why I thought I just had to do this.




Michael got out of the car to take a picture...without his shoes....and paid a mighty price!



                           

But intrepid travelers all, we pushed on.

Some scenes along the way ......





                           






                                
I must tell you a little about 'mutton.'  If you are speaking with a Navajo of 'mutton', it can be either a sheep or a goat.  There is no difference.  As a matter of fact, when I was visiting my Navajo friends, I saw not one sheep...only goats in their herd.  And yet, they would talk of herding their sheep...never herding the goats.  The above look like sheep to me, but it wouldn't matter one way or another.  It's all mutton!  And it all turns into mutton stew or barbequed mutton.

*****************

Canyon De Chelly. 

Those very words soothe and feed my soul.  If you've been there, you know what I mean.  If you haven't, you cannot know, but I wish you could.

I, as human woman, hate these two pictures of me.  I, as Spirit, love them.  These pictures were taken at a certain place on the rim of the canyon where each time I'm there, I feel the wind just blow clean through my soul.  I mean to say...I feel the wind just blows 'clean' into and through my soul. Clean. Pure. Holy.  I feel baptized by Holy Spirit of the Creator Of All That Is, Was and Ever Shall Be!


  



As you can see, there are no barriers, at all, on this rocky ledge.  And it is a very long way down.  A very, very long way down!
                     

This spot does have a barrier...and you can see Michael and Chuck taking pictures of me taking pictures of them.


                    

Canyon De Chelly has a most interesting history, along with Canyon de Muerto.  Here's a link for you to explore.


And a great book to read about Spider Woman.



And here is the incredible rock formation known as Spider Woman.

 
All those dark green 'things' you see, way down in the bottom of the canyon are big trees.  Big ones.  Probably cottonwoods.







To the left of Spider rock, mid-way down the picture, you can see a road...not a path or a trail, but a road!



This canyon has been farmed for a very long time.  Before the Navajo people, the Anasazi's lived here.

Deep in the canyon, you can find ruins such as these.

And if you are fortunate, even from the rim, you can hear the bells of the sheep and goats foraging in the canyon bottom.  See the small white speck at the base of the big tree?  There's several sheep or goats in this picture.

    

On whatever day you might find yourself in this very special place, you will, most asuredly, be blessed.



 

Absolutely full of a day in which we have been blessed with sights that some may never see, we head back south...tired, but happy.
All is well.  Day is Done.  We are GRATEFUL.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I am grateful for these photos and regret that I never made a trip there....maybe one day.

Dawn said...

i am adding Canyon de Chelly to my list of must see places when we finally get on the road. i've eaten a Navajo taco before (well, part of one LOL) and they are GOOD! although i suspect they're not an ancestral recipe...

Sharon Kay said...

Donna...I hope you do make it! I promise it will be an unforgettable experience!

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn, everyone I've ever talked to who has been there, was deeply moved by the whole experience. I hope you get to 'get on the road' real soon. :)
Also...around here, that particular dish is called Indian Tacos...and you're right..they are, for sure, not an ancestral recipe. But they're good, anyway.

Kelly Hancock said...

Amazingly beautiful. Robert and I will have to make the trip one of these days.

Sharon Kay said...

I hope you do, Kelly. And I hope your mom does, too. My guess is that you will love it as much as I do.