Monday, March 1, 2010

CRISIS AVERTED

Saturday's news sounded ominous.  All day long.

And in spite of the fact that many precious to their families' lives were lost, and an enormous amount of damage was done, we could breathe a collective sigh of relief that we didn't have another "Haiti" situation to deal with, worry over, pray for, light candles for, raise money for....etc.... etc....

The big tsunami waves didn't come to our shores.  We 'dodged a bullet.'

Still.........

If the ground is solid beneath our feet.....

If the house we live in is sound....

If the water is still running through our pipes....

If electricity is still lighting our dark...and powering our computers and televisions and telephones...

If we can know that every member of our family is safe.....

We should...


And, perhaps we should also remember that the people in Haiti are still suffering in a way we probably cannot possibly understand.

And perhaps, we should continue to worry over, pray for, light candles for, raise funds for....etc., etc.,....all our brothers and sisters in Haiti.

Well, maybe not worry...that serves no purpose whatsoever, does it?

But praying for them.....lighting candles for them....sending thoughts of light and love....and sending money, too, maybe..........yes...all that, maybe we still need to be doing ALL that.

Haiti is no longer the news of the day.

Let's not forget, however,  their suffering has not ended.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

"worry is like a rocking chair. it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." LOL! as you say, better to pray, light a candle, send $$$, do ANYTHING. the way i see it, we are not even close to rebuilding New Orleans almost five years after Katrina. Haiti is a long term project that will need help long after most people have moved on to the next cause.

i feel so lucky and yes, grateful that i have blessings enough to share with others.

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn, I don't think I've ever heard that very wise and witty saying. It's a keeper!
I agree with you about New Orleans. The state of that city, so long after Katrina, is tragic and shameful. I fear the same will be true of Haiti in the years to come.

gini said...

I had this word within my soul this morning.. and it was (giving). I feel Mother Earth is reeling.. and we must listen. I am now, more than ever..
Katrina still makes me sad.. and a bit of collective shame that it has been put on the back burner, so to speak.Where did ALL that money go? millions!! oh dear...
So Prayers today.. for all in need. and
GRATITUDE for the feeling of
SAFETY I have this moment.
Moment to moment!!
I LOVE the Rocking Chair vs. Worry.. Dawn, you make me smile..
love
g

Sharon Kay said...

Gini and all,
I wish I had thought to reference an earlier blog which had a pertinent poem in it about our Mother Earth.
Here's the link to that post.

http://skayspeak.blogspot.com/2010/01/some-thoughts-about-haiti.html

gini said...

Thank you Skay.. that was very heart warming.
you really touch my soul.. EVERYDAY.. and for that
I am grateful!!
Peace
gini
xo