Saturday, March 13, 2010

DESERT LOVE

See this?
It isn't too attractive, is it?

It kind of makes you wonder why I'd have it  planted in such a prominent spot in my back yard.

Look at this and you'll see why.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1083875347048216361iLaGkB

That only happens in the hottest part of the summer when we get sufficient rainfall and it doesn't even last for long.  But, oh, the fragrance...to say nothing of that lovely lavender cloud of sheer beauty!  It is SO worth the wait!

I showed you our ocotillo the other day...looking all fancy in her Spring green frock!  When she blooms, she'll look like this...covered with spikey fiery red blossoms!


Most of the year, it looks like.....

I was going to insert a link into what it looks like most of the year, but it is so ugly...so unattractive...that apparently no one has posted an image of it in all of google-dom!  I have certainly never been moved to photograph that particular time in the life of an ocotillo.  But I will..and show it to you one of these days.

Just imagine 12-15 foor long dead looking sticks covered with deadly looking thorns and you've got the picture!

Prickley Pear Cactus...now there's another desert plant that is not terribly attractive most of the time.  But with sufficient rain...at the right time...you get this.


There's so many desert plants which will surprise you, given the right circumstance.  With all the winter rain and snow we've had this year, I think all the circumstances just might be perfectly in place to knock your socks off this Spring.  I will do my best to get photographs of her at her best and share them with you.


This desert is truly a magical place.  But, you have to be willing to be patient...to wait until she is ready to unfold her secret delights to your gaze.  She is  very secretive...very seductive...very sexy.  And if you don't pay her enough attention, she will NEVER show you her true self!  That is true of every smart woman, don't you think?

But watch out...'cause she can be a devil.  Just like a black widow spider, she'll kill you, if you allow yourself to fall completely under her spell!  She's dangerous....probably somewhat like the sea.  You NEVER  want to forget who's in charge!

But, also, you neve want to forget that she is really a beauty.....unique and wonderful in her own way!

I have lived on this desert for almost 20 years now.  I was completely enthralled with her from my very first visit and remain enthralled with her to this very day.

Spring on the desert!  It is almost here!

Oh!  I can  hardly wait!!!!!

I am so grateful to live on this Sonoran Desert!!!!!!

1 comment:

gini said...

Let's see .. I think the word for people who love the desert is desert rat..?? he he
I do love your photos and lessons and one day I hope I get to see it for myself.
The totem of a rat states: Expert survivalists..Drives for success,has much wisdom in how it moves... adaptable.. hmm
Gratitude in knowing a desert rat!!
love
gini