Tuesday, March 9, 2010

IN THE CLOSET

Many people tell me that they have run out of room to hang any more paintings or other wall art.

I do understand that.  I don't have any room left, either.  Not because I have so much art hanging in my house but because I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to decorating.  I just don't like a lot of 'stuff' around.  I prefer having a good bit of empty space....including on my walls. 

There is one rather odd place I do have some 'stuff' besides what you would imagine you'd find there. 

It's in my closet!

There's a painting I did many years ago which is very special to me.  It's a very bad painting of a very good memory...my grandparent's yard in Portales, New Mexico.

I really wanted it where I could see it often, but had no desire for it to be displayed for everyone else to see. 

So.....

I plopped it on one of the shelves in my small walk-in closet.  I get to see it daily...unless , of course, it's an 'all day in my jammies' kind of a day. 

The other goodies hanging on my closet wall are these....


The collection of photos were all chosen to be reminders of times when I felt happy from the top of my head to the tips of my toes.

One is a picture of the chapel at De Grazia's Gallery because it had much to do with my healing process during a very difficult time in my life.

One is a picture of my cat, Callie.  She was one of a kind. 

There's a picture of the Black Mesa home of my Navajo 'family.'  My first visit there remains one of the highlights of my entire life.

There's also a picture I took from the outhouse at 'The Mesa.'  I couldn't help myself!  The view was spectacular!

The ballerina is, of course, me.  My mom made the costume.  I danced to 'Moonlight and Roses."  And I felt like a beautiful princess that night!

There's a picture of my late brother in Texas Canyon, which is where we scattered his ashes and where I often imagine him happily roaming those magnificent rocks!

There's one of me, at age 41, in a bikini...and I look hot!  Now that's a memory I enjoy!

There's one of me in the ocean...feeling the incredible joy I always feel when I'm lucky enough to visit any seashore.

And finally, one of my very own footprints on a beach during a vist to the Bahamas.  I never imagined myself getting to go to such an exotic place and the fact that I actually got there, still amazes me!  A friend won a trip for two...and took me as her guest!

I found the small ceramic head in a dried-out pond in a small town that was very special to me.

I made the shelf many years ago.

A dear friend gave me the fairy 'sky dancer'  It says:
"Stars got tangled in her hair whenever she played in the sky."

Laini's Ladies

The wooden necklace was my mom's and since she loved it and wore it often, it is special to me.

****************

I don't have many clothes...don't need 'em.

So, I'm fortunate to have a little space to have my own private little gallery in my closet.

Looking at these pictures again, I realize there's a couple of other 'special' things.

There's a bag of potpourri made by a very special friend.

There's a couple of ratty old quilts made my my grandmother.


I love my closet.

I'm grateful for my little private gallery.



7 comments:

gini said...

Can it be the you've inspired me to 'simplify'?
Like this has been on my mind ALL WINTER. But to no avail. Too many clothes, too many things all in boxes,not enough memories on display, all seem to be tucked away somewhere.
It's a good thing Spring is nearing.. The phrase Spring Cleaning will take on a new meaning this year.. Simplify.
I LOVE the fairy Sky Dancer.. I want one.. what a lovely way to think of angels and fairies, with stars getting tangled in their hair while playing..
I have a frame just like that one. It holds memories of my Mother and family. I wonder where I've tucked that.. Could be that I'll start a bit of simplifying today?
Thanks Skay, for sharing your private gallery.
love
gini

Dawn said...

"Stars got tangled in her hair whenever she played in the sky."
what a lovely image! i need to take the time to play in the sky more often.
you look so sweet in your tutu. :~D Hugs, Dawn

Donna said...

Now THIS is original.....much like yourself.

Sharon Kay said...

Gini...I'm a big fan of simplifying. I makes life so much...well...simpler! LOL

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...all little girls look sweet in a tutu. I was such a tomboy that it's possible this is the only time in my life I actually looked sweet. ;)

That saying means a lot to me. It was a perfect gift...I love it!

Sharon Kay said...

It would be impossible to do, Donna, if I didn't have a nice-sized closet. But I'm thinking the backs of doors..closets and cabinet ones, could also be display spaces. Why not?

louise moran said...

Hello Friend Skay, been away a short time but back now, your welcoming open arms are as wonderful as ever. So enjoy your take on life.
Thank You for being You