Wednesday, March 17, 2010

REINVENTING THE WHEEL


We try to do that, don't we?

At least, I do, with some regularity.  It is, of course, a  pure waste of tme and energy.

A wheel is a circle....a perfect shape...perfect for moving something from here to there....
perfect for holding something in place...perfect for lots of things, I imagine.

But, that's not really what I have on my mind right now. 

What I'm thinking is this.

I am going to do, at least, a few more of those dadgum outdoor art/craft fairs.  I've done many of them before...years ago...with better success back then.
(The word 'dadgum' is a perfectly good word, but it could be that you have to be a redneck to recognize its' value!)

Why was that?

I think it was because of the variety of things that I had for sale...and the variety of prices.

So.........

Maybe I should have another look at my 'wheel' and hopefully get things moving in the direction I wish them to go.

Besides my paintings, I think I need to provide a bit more variety with some things that could be given as gifts.  In today's economy, I think people are not buying 'unneccessaries' for themselves...but for other people.  And paintings can be very difficult to choose for someone else.

Back in the day, I painted on tiles and pots and all kinds of things that would make fun gifts.  I think I need to do that again.

So...

It's time to get this particular wheel out of the rut and headed in another direction.

Ruts are easy to stay  in and hard to get out of.


I wonder just how many 'ruts' I'm in right now.

I wonder if I even want to know the answer to that.  Sometimes, ruts can be as comfy as an old flannel shirt and serve us well, I suspect.

But, I am grateful for wheels.

Ruts do have their place.

But I am grateful that I CAN get out of one, if I so desire and if I am willing to put forth the effort....and take off in a whole new direction!


 Desert scene....acrylic on 12" Mexican Saltillo tile


5 comments:

Dawn said...

as you say, some ruts are useful - i mean, can you imagine if we had to figure out how to dress ourselves anew each and every morning? LOL! i think you're onto something with diversifying your market offerings. i'm waiting to see what you come up with! you have such good ideas.

i'm starting to look at the various ruts in my life and trying to break out of the ones that don't serve me. not all at once, though. Hugs~Dawn

Dawn said...

Oh1! Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Sharon Kay said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you, too, Dawn.

gini said...

HAPPY ST.PATRICKS DAY TO ALL OF YEE!!
Such a profound post..
I think shaking the wheels is a good thing.
I can't think of anything that a rut is good for.. He he he

Maybe steadying a big ol wagon wheel you use for decoration? hmmm wish I had one of those..
smile
love to you
gini
(wink) this worked!! yea!! thanks Skay..

Donna said...

Ezekiel saw a wheel within a wheel.