Wednesday, March 3, 2010

AN OCCASIONAL RIVER

Remember this?

Well......after this weekend's rain, this is what it looked like this morning, Monday, March 1st.



I really had a hard time trying to figure out what to look at.

The river....


or the snow covered mountains.



River.



Mountains.



Luckily it was easy to do both. 

I followed the walkway under the highway.  It's spooky underneath there.


The river widens out in this area, so there's lots of muddy mess and  things which have gotten washed  away....like this red shopping cart.....


and this silver one.


I know that looks really unattractive but on the way back to my car, I noticed this big old cottonwood tree putting on it's pretty spring green leaves already!


And talk about green!  I have no idea what kind of tree this is...but green, it is!




I left this side of the river and drove to the other side to have a look around and was thusly admonished.



I don't think they meant this little critter.



Or his little buddy.



From this viewpoint, I got a good picture of the mountain range to our west, which I have never shown you.



Just beyond those mountains is Old Tucson Studios and if you've ever seen a John Wayne movie, you've probably seen the other side of those mountains.  They are called, unimaginatively, the Tucson Mountains.

I spent a pleasant hour walking along the river in the nice warm sunshine.  So did lots of others and many of them were dressed in shorts and t-shirts.  As lovely as it was, eventually I had to head home.


Adios you beautiful mountains.





Adios Rillito River.



I am so grateful for:

1.  My old car which takes me on these little treks.
2.  The new battery which means my car will actually start.
3.  My little Kodak camera.
4.  These lovely mountains.
5. This occasional river.




6 comments:

gini said...

WELL, I am 'charged' for the day.
I think my chakras were actually cleansed.. the greens and blues oh my. Wonderful.
Perfect Kodak moments.
I love John Wayne. yep I've been over the mountain.. he he
I am grateful for 'old movies'. truly I am.
love
gini

Dawn said...

i drove through those mountains on an early September morn a couple of years ago, on my way to San Diego. the clouds were so low it was like driving thru a fog bank...very mysterious and otherworldly :~D

amazing how fast the river can go from no water to a raging torrent. reminds me of a couple of people i know.

i am grateful for the gorgeous pictures you took. hope you have a stupendous day. Hugs, Dawn

Debbie Brown said...

Hi Sharon,
Even in the midst of ditched shopping carts and warnings of venomous critters one can find beauty and you do~~we all can and I know I always have.

"La Senora" arrived here safely this morning and she is happy to be living in Indiana now. ~giggle~ Spring is making itself known here too and she will be among my other favorite things (love her) in our sun room/rainbow room. ;) I am seeing her with a lattice or wicker frame around her to match the garden theme. If I can't find one then Ted will make one. When the room is done and she has her own space I will send you a picture of her new home. :)

Grateful for the simplistic beauty that surrounds us all every moment of every day. GREEN is very GOOD! lol The snow here is nearly gone...up in the 50's this weekend. Yippee!
Blessings everyone,
Debbie

Sharon Kay said...

Mornin', Gini..glad you got charged. ;)

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn...what an astute comparison between the river and some people...astute and funny, too!

Sharon Kay said...

Debbie...glad to hear she made the trip safely. I hope the change in climate isn't too much for her. LOL I like your framing idea.
Bless you, back.