Monday, March 8, 2010

SPRING GREEN!

Spring is definitely coming to the desert.


My plan was to feature the color ‘yellow’ next. But I just don’t think that’s possible….what with all the lovely, luscious greens springing up all around me.

With all the rain we’ve had this year, the desert is bustin’ out all over!

I can hardly wait for the blossom displays which will be very soon. But for right now, the gorgeous greens are doing a quite nice job of taking my breath away!

For example…

Our Tombstone roses which cover our entire back fence look like this right now.



Within a few short weeks…or maybe days…it will be covered with tiny white roses and look exactly like it’s been completely covered with popcorn!


Why is it called a Tombstone rose?

lhttp://www.tombstonetimes.com/stories/rose.html

Tucson is at a much lower elevation than Tombstone, so our roses bloom about a month sooner than THE Tombstone rose in that story.

Here's another link for some more interesting information about this most special rose.

http://www.tombstonechamber.com/Rose-Tree-Museum-and-Books


Our ocotillo, (oh-co-tea-o) which looks like nothing more than an unpleasant, ugly bouquet of thorny sticks during dry times, is now covered top to bottom with lovely, soft green leaves. But you still need to watch out for those thorns! And we’ll be watching for the orange-red blossoms which inebriate every hummingbird around with their sweet nectar.




The Palo Verde…(green wood in Spanish) is this chartreuse green year round. Later it will become an ethereal yellow cloud. This it the tree which drives me nuts trying to paint it!


I guess I should 'splain that 'stuff' hanging in my palo verde tree.  It is, starting from the top, an old rusty hay hook, to which is tied 2 rusty horse-shoes, hubby and I found while roaming the desert and one rusty old small shovel which was used by my blacksmith grandfather.  Together it all makes a delightful clanking and clunking when the wind blows.  Even my neigbors enjoy these 'wind chimes.'

Under the Palo Verde is this mass planting of African Daisies…mixed with an abundance of weeds! I will spend hours identifying and pulling all unwanted plants from this particular area.

In many places in Tucson, African daisies are already in full bloom.  These are in shade until afternoon, so they are going to be late-bloomers.  But, that's ok 'cause they are sure worth the wait!


The Bermuda grass hasn’t had enough warm night-time temperatures yet to push new blades up through the old fall-dead mat. But it will…soon!

I couldn't  pass up this opportunity to show you this picture of Codi.  I guess she is waiting for lunch.  I feel so bad that I let the birdbath dry completely up!  That's a glimpse of our Tombstone roses in the background.



In this warm micro-climate, right at my studio door, the wild verbena is not only growing, but blooming already!



My golden lantana showed me some blossoms, telling me that I have put off pruning as long as I possibly can this year. I must get after that…and my Mexican Bird of Paradise….Arabian Jasmine…and everything else that needs cutting back this time of year.



Oh yes! It’s definitely time to get the pruners out and get busy!



Green.



The color of money….but even better….the color Spring wears each and every year!



Oh…and it’s the color of St. Patrick’s Day, too!  So, even though it's a little early....

Slainte!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_say_slainte


And one more thing.

Green is the color of frogs.


If you’ve known me for long…and especially if you knew me from the Oprah discussion boards….you KNOW I have a very special place in my heart for frogs…and for all my froggie friends.

You know who you are!

I am grateful for the Frog Pond…and the color green!

10 comments:

gini said...

Green!! I can smell it now.. Not too much here yet.. ugh
Such lovely flowers and bushes.Roses are my favorite.I can smell them too..
Verbena that sticks around year after year?? Oh my.. not here.. have to buy it every year.
Codi and the nesting spot? OMG.. LOLOL
I was thinking St Patty's Day too.
and the Frog Pond hasn't seen YOU in many moons!! But I can't imagine where you'd find the time.. YOU are a busy bee,Skay.
I hope to be lets say... next month? :)
I want to see a picture of those rose buds POPPED too. k?
gini

Sharon Kay said...

Man, did things change yesterday! It went from warm sunshine to cold rain in short order...ie...typical changeable Spring weather! LOL
Gini...those verbena are not the same as your verbena...it is a wild desert plant...one of my favorites.

Donna said...

Ahhhhh....green. I have tons of green weeds in my back yard and spots of green grass here and there...yes, spring is springing. And Codi IN the bird bath made me giggle. What better place to catch lunch. Smart cat.

Louise said...

Hello again my friend....I've been away for a little while, but now back. We're having yoyo weather, its beautiful in what ever form, accepting natures pallette of colors.....You make me happy, friend....Thank You

Sharon Kay said...

Well...somehow I missed getting e-mail notifications about comments on this post!
Hi Donna...weeds here, too.....Yes...Codi is most definitely an opportunistic feline!

Louise...where ya' been, gf!!!! I'm glad to make you happy. We're having yo-yo weather, too.

Dawn said...

ah, spring greens...the season of new beginnings and hope! here the pear trees and the tulip trees are in their full blooming glory. and i started my new job today. i think i'm gonna like it. Hugs, Dawn

Sharon Kay said...

Dawn..so glad to hear it. I think I might enjoy a similar job as I love thrift stores! I hope it is a truly good place for you to be.
Let's all drink a toast to Dawn's new job!
Klink! or if you prefer..
Clink!
;)

Free2bfree said...

Love the GREEN, Skay!!! Your early greenery and blossoms this time of year make me green with envy! LOL This last Saturday I spent the entire day committing herbicide, much to my dismay. The city gave me a "friendly notice" that my beautiful evergreen junipers and euonymous that I've enjoyed for the past 30 years "had to go" because the city was classifying them as a "fence!" Aaaaargh! Now, when I look out my front windows I see the cars whizzing past and my across the street neighbors' not-so-loverly front yards and parked cars!!! I'll never take the remaining greenery around my home for granted.

I owe a big "thank you" to you, Queen Skay, for originating the blessed Frog Pond at ANE! It will forever hold a special spot in my heart.

Love ya, LUV YA!!! ~*~ Karen

gini said...

Mimosa's.. clink klink. I just read the good news of Dawn.. Comes the Dawn.. mm good.

Kfair.. you are popping up all over... he he
just like a new flower of Spring..
I have a vase just your size on my table.. :)
you are a keeper.
gini
x

Sharon Kay said...

Karen...I was wondering where you disappeared to! So glad to see you back.

A pox on your city! Well, no, not the city but the beaureaucrats that made you do that murder! How doggone sad! :(